Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loosing maps / satellite imagery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed on a few recent (last 4 weeks) journeys that I am frequently loosing maps / satellite imagery (yes, I pay for premium connectivity)

For example, driving from West Sussex - Somerset this weekend, travelling west, I lost maps and images from the display shortly after Swindon (travelling on the M4) I didn't get these back for the rest of the journey (ending near Weston-Super-Mare).

When I returned to West Sussex, maps/satellite imagery present and correct as I started the journey, but fell away again around Bristol, not to return until I was stationary in traffic on the M25.

I have rebooted the car several times, but the problem prevails.....any ideas what may be causing this / how to resolve this problem please?

Sorry this may not help. But it did happen to me when I was on my way up to Manchester.

I think it’s something to do with the LTE connection, I got to Manchester - had a few hours away from the car and it started to work

I think it just needed to reestablish the connection to 4G.

Happened to me today at about lunchtime. Wouldn’t work at all (I have premium but also tried tethering to my phone) until a two-fingered salute on the scroll wheels.

It happened after a loss of LTE but even though the radio streaming etc came back, the maps didn’t.

I came along from Fleet along A303 this morning and lost them for about 5 miles, I noticed I lost LTE as well. It just showed a white screen with the road in blue....
Yep, that was my problem (navigation route remained in blue on a blank background. But in my case, regularly for 90+ minutes / 100+ miles.

Not sure about LTE connectivity on the car, (Spotify didn't drop at all) but I'll check next time this happens, but it's hard to believe it's not available throughout the areas I've lost maps (eg M4/M5 Swindon - Bristol and beyond.

Last edited:
This is happening a lot to me too. I've had Tesla's for 5 years now and the last month or so is the worst it's ever been. Glad to hear it's happening to other's too. This happens all over, including where LTE connection is perfect so I'm not sure what's going on

There's another thread on this, somewhere

Reactions: Whyone
So many people have this issue, I raised service request for it and was called and told it would be fixed in an update , but that was weeks ago, I can normally only get a few miles from the house before the map totally disappears leaving just a big blank screen, Makes the premium connectivity to have satellite imagery a waste of money at the moment.
I suggest everyone who experiences this issue raise a service request , perhaps weight of numbers will help them solve the issue quicker. I was hoping the latest update would fix it, but no it didn't.

Reactions: Pluglife and H43lio
We do get map updates - IIRC once a year. Also as FastLaneJB states above, if it was totally reliant on online maps then map display would fail a lot more often that it appears to.
You need to be careful. The car does not store all the maps internally. The map updates indicate which version of maps will get downloaded when needed. If you plan to go somewhere where there may be no cell coverage then you should explore the navigation map in that area to be sure the car has downloaded the maps you will need. This may be more of an issue in North America than in Europe.

Reactions: H43lio
I'm not sure how Premium Connectivity would have anything to do with this issue, or anyone without it would not have maps at all.

I've had the problem once, but it wasn't just maps, it was a complete loss of cell signal. It came back on its own after about 5 more minutes of driving. Oddly, I did notice a single square of missing map yesterday evening while driving home...

You need to be careful. The car does not store all the maps internally. The map updates indicate which version of maps will get downloaded when needed. If you plan to go somewhere where there may be no cell coverage then you should explore the navigation map in that area to be sure the car has downloaded the maps you will need. This may be more of an issue in North America than in Europe.
Yes, but we're unlikely to go out of bounds on our tiny islands.

Not had this before - until reading this thread last night and driving today….. 🤣

Went from Gloucester to Weston-super-mare. As I came off the motorway for the last bit of the journey, I lost maps and couldn’t even get non-google satnav maps to show.

On the way back, 7 hours later, all was fine - until I reached the motorway. Literally the exact opposite of the journey there. 🤯 when I hand this courtesy car back, I’ll leave my car on whatever software version it’s on until this is fixed.