Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map Correct, Navigation Incorrect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having an issue with maps and navigation on my 2017 75D Model X. The map shows correct roads and streets, however, the directions navigation gives me are out of date.

For example, when navigation directs me to work, it wants me to turn onto a street near my house that no longer exists. The street was removed by the city a couple of years ago for a housing development. However, the map image is correct and up-to-date. The map correctly shows the current layout of roads and streets in my neighborhood. (And the route navigation displays on the map follows the incorrect directions. Nice to see a blue line going through houses!)

I am not super concerned, but I do wonder what would happen if I upgraded to FSD and had it take me to work. Would it follow the actual road or would it try to drive through someone's living room?

Anyway, I spoke with Tesla and they said it takes years for this kind of information to update to maps. Huh? The map is correct. it is the navigation instructions which aren't. Hmm... Apple Maps, Google Maps, Nissan Navigation and Hyundai Navigation all show the correct roads on their maps AND provide correct navigation instructions.

I rebooted the computer per Tesla's advice. No change.

Any ideas?

I am having an issue with maps and navigation on my 2017 75D Model X. The map shows correct roads and streets, however, the directions navigation gives me are out of date.

For example, when navigation directs me to work, it wants me to turn onto a street near my house that no longer exists. The street was removed by the city a couple of years ago for a housing development. However, the map image is correct and up-to-date. The map correctly shows the current layout of roads and streets in my neighborhood. (And the route navigation displays on the map follows the incorrect directions. Nice to see a blue line going through houses!)

I am not super concerned, but I do wonder what would happen if I upgraded to FSD and had it take me to work. Would it follow the actual road or would it try to drive through someone's living room?

Anyway, I spoke with Tesla and they said it takes years for this kind of information to update to maps. Huh? The map is correct. it is the navigation instructions which aren't. Hmm... Apple Maps, Google Maps, Nissan Navigation and Hyundai Navigation all show the correct roads on their maps AND provide correct navigation instructions.

I rebooted the computer per Tesla's advice. No change.

Any ideas?
The displayed map (big screen) and the maps used for navigation are different, and frequently conflict. The Tesla person you spoke to is correct.it takes years for updates to propagate. There is one street I drive on daily, the car stops for a traffic signal that was moved 500 feet north. It also stops for the new signal location. Go figure.

I don’t know how FSD will work with your removed street, but I suspect Tesla Vision will see there is nothing to turn on to. But you are supposed to be paying close attention, right? ;)

The displayed map (big screen) and the maps used for navigation are different, and frequently conflict. The Tesla person you spoke to is correct.it takes years for updates to propagate. There is one street I drive on daily, the car stops for a traffic signal that was moved 500 feet north. It also stops for the new signal location. Go figure.

I don’t know how FSD will work with your removed street, but I suspect Tesla Vision will see there is nothing to turn on to. But you are supposed to be paying close attention, right? ;)
But Apple Maps is already up-to-date. Apple Maps!! ;)

I've got a similar problem. Every time I drive to work, my Model 3 and Y both try to take me through a dozen small residential back streets when there is a main road that is straight and zero traffic. The map shows the road, but the nav seems to think it doesn't exist. This road has been here for decades. So the car barks directions for about 2 mins for everyone of those small road turns and reroutes until I get through the first intersection, then it's fine. Google Maps, Apple Maps, every other thing I've tried are 100% correct. Just not in a Tesla. I've found no way to turn in a fix.

Is there a school or other facility along your path that may have complained to Google at some point (actually for that matter does tesla still get its nav info from Google)? I get this behavior with a nearby school. Big straight empty road but Tesla sends me on a crazy detour every time even outside of school hours.

This is years old, doubtless no longer relevant and in any event off-topic, but i swear there was a Google connection once:

Reviewing the Tesla Model S Navigation System
Google Maps powers the Tesla Model S Navigation system which appears on the 17″ touchscreen in either half screen (huge!) or full screen mode (mind blowing!).
The map shown is a Tesla-modified and co-branded version of Google Maps.

Last edited:
If you look at your MCU today, it still says Google in the corner. That is Google maps, not Google navigation. It is fairly common for the maps displayed on the MCU and the maps used by the navigation to conflict. AFAIK, that has always been the case.

Ok now I get what you (and DCGOO above) are saying.

To get it back to the question at hand, is it possible Tesla (not Google!) geofences certain locations so as not to send a million strangers past that site, even if it totally defies common sense.
Seems unlikely to me. Navigation takes me on a lot of really strange routes, and I can think of two more likely possibilities:
  1. The map data is so bad that navigation thinks an odd route will be quicker even though it never will
  2. Tesla needs to collect data from the less traveled paths and is taking advantage of navigation to send vehicles on them

Is there a means to report bugs like this? There's a park near us (Perrigo Park). I can hit Navigate and type in Perrigo Park. The map will show Perrigo Park pin on the map and zoom to a proper scale to show "the world" between present position and Perrigo Park. But if I touch the pin to navigate to it, the car decides to navigate to some park in Seattle 20 miles away.

Is there a means to report bugs like this? There's a park near us (Perrigo Park). I can hit Navigate and type in Perrigo Park. The map will show Perrigo Park pin on the map and zoom to a proper scale to show "the world" between present position and Perrigo Park. But if I touch the pin to navigate to it, the car decides to navigate to some park in Seattle 20 miles away.
Try adding a street name, or maybe the city it is located in, to "perrigo park"

I have a 2020 Model X w/out FSD and free Premium Connectivity for 30 days. My nav is not showing live traffic and when I touch the screen to get the traffic lights it says "traffic disabled".

Not sure how to enable live traffic?....I have searched and all the suggestions do not allow me to pull up the lights to toggle it on and off...

Help!

I've got a similar problem. Every time I drive to work, my Model 3 and Y both try to take me through a dozen small residential back streets when there is a main road that is straight and zero traffic. The map shows the road, but the nav seems to think it doesn't exist. This road has been here for decades. So the car barks directions for about 2 mins for everyone of those small road turns and reroutes until I get through the first intersection, then it's fine. Google Maps, Apple Maps, every other thing I've tried are 100% correct. Just not in a Tesla. I've found no way to turn in a fix.
At least I am not crazy or alone. But this little inconsistency here makes me doubt the accuracy of the navigation system.