Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using an App without losing view of Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to see an update to the UI that allows for using apps without losing view of the navigation. Currently, if you open an app it takes over the primary area of the screen and covers the navigation. You must dismiss the app to see the map.

The most common scenario for me is riding with a passenger who is browsing for music. It would be nice to have an option to make the music app a phone-like slim view so the passenger can search and change music without covering up the navigation. If in this view and the app is switched, then the next app should also remain in the slimmed down view. But also have the option to go between slim and full-screen in scenarios when the navigation screen isn’t critical.

In future vehicles/refreshes, I would prefer a HUD or driver view screen. Someone shouldn’t need an S or X to get the convenience of front-and-center navigation. The Model 3, Y and Cybertruck should have something there for this reason. A HUD would keep the minimalist nature of a Tesla.

A HUD or another screen may not be what Tesla wants and so, at the very least, it would be great to have the primary screen provide an option to show the map at all times when navigating.

Reactions: father_of_6
I'm personally not interested in a HUD. Now that I've driven having nothing in front of me, I don't want to go back to those distractions.

That said, I do agree that it would be nice if the passenger could use features on the screen without covering the navigation.

I know it's not a map, but at least they add the next turn and distance to that turn to the left display area. Still, seeing the map would appreciated.
Many revisions ago, they had the ability for an "intermediate" screen app whereby the app would fill the bottom ~1/3 of the screen while the map was still visible. You simply swipe down the full-screen app to approximately 2/3's down and it would then fill the remaining area. So the bottom 1/3 would show your favorites and such in the music app. At times, I wish they would bring that function back and improve upon it. Or better yet, allow the 3/Y to reposition all the screens similar to the S.

If your passenger is a family member who has the Tesla app on their phone, you can give them access to control media using the app. Not sure what features are available because I’ve never used that option.
I haven’t either, but I believe I’ve seen it in the app. It’s basically the same thing you get on the bottom-left of the screen which only controls things like pause, play, next/prev song, etc. You can’t search for songs or stations or view playlists or albums. It’s very limited.

• Disagree
Reactions: tradosaurus
I prefer to mount my phone just past the top left of the Tesla display; the navigation is much better with Apple Maps or Google Maps. AND the eye-tracking does not bother you when looking in this area

I'll set both for the same destination, but I'm not nearly as dependent on the Tesla navigation for my own decisions