Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map/Internet...do they work across the border?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi again everyone,

Planning a trip to Canada from the US. Just curious if the Map/GPS and/or the internet in the Model S will work across the border.

In the past I've had some phones/GPS units not work when the 49th parallel is crossed, so just curious in hearing from those who have done/do this commute.

Thanks in advance for any info.

That's a change at some point in the last 2 years -- and good to know.

It used to be that Canadian cars would maintain connectivity in the US, but US cars wouldn't work in Canada. We drove up to BC a couple years ago, and connectivity dropped within meters of crossing into Canada. On the way back, I didn't get connectivity back up until I rebooted the center screen during a supercharging stop in Burlington…

Peter B -
Have you had the '12 long? Had you been up to BC in it before that was changed? I'm just wondering if all older cars (mine is a '13) will work.

just as another data point -- the internet & GPS on a Canadian Model S work just fine crossing the border into the US.

BTW if you're going on a cross-border road trip... an unrelated observation from my last road trip to WA state:
when you cross the border, the speed limit icon that shows on the instrument cluster (part of the Speed Assist feature) automatically converts to your selected units. e.g. my car is set to km/hr display and when crossing into the US the MPH speed limit signs picked up by the car's camera automatically show in equivalent km/hr. Same idea should be true if you normally use MPH and cross to the north. So no need to change from your normal units