Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marc Garneau at the Tesla factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope so. But I'm not feeling positive.

I'm not seeing much in your shortlist that points to anything other than a few tier-one supplier deals. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a few small fish. But, if we're looking at a wholesale turnover of vehicle manufacturing, we're going to need to be pushing very hard to get in early, in order to save our auto manufacturing base. There is no substitute for the big fish.
Yes, Tier One supplier deals. For quite a few automakers a couple Tier Ones make more than 50% of vehicle value. Magna is one of those. OEM assembly locations is not the only way to create added value. I'll not comment on labor laws, other than the Southern US, most likely places around the world do have workers rights.

Yes, Tier One supplier deals. For quite a few automakers a couple Tier Ones make more than 50% of vehicle value. Magna is one of those. OEM assembly locations is not the only way to create added value. I'll not comment on labor laws, other than the Southern US, most likely places around the world do have workers rights.

Who does Southern Ontario compete with for auto production? The rust belt, the south-eastern US and Mexico. I'm seeing us on the losing end of a lot of opportunities. And of course, even the larger Canadian tier 1s - Magna, Multimatic, Linamar, etc...- have plants in those locations as well.

Reactions: jbcarioca
That's true but we have a few things working in our favour (and a bunch of things not in our favour):
1) A low(ish) dollar
2) Lower health care costs thanks to OHIP, etc.
3) A fairly well educated workforce
4) Lower instances of drug addiction. (Economy Needs Workers, but Drug Tests Take a Toll)

So, we can choose to believe that. But how many new assembly plants have been built in Ontario in the last 20 years? And how many in Mexico and the Southern US? The people who matter haven't been convinced.

Elon commits to a lot of things. Like third-party apps on the Model S, an upgraded web browser around December 2016, and 18 SuperChargers in Ontario in 2017 - of which zero have been built with the year about 80% over.
You should be hearing of at least two Superchargers starting construction in eastern Ontario in the coming weeks. I'll post more information once things have been confirmed.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I don't think that there have been a lot of plants built anywhere in the last 20 years as the industry has been plagued with overcapacity. Toyota did open a plant in Woodstock, ON in 2008. And in 2012 the Toyota Cambridge plant had capacity increased by 50k to 200k/yr. Honda added its second plant in Alliston, ON in 1998. And they opened an engine plant more recently - but they have also closed some parts of the plant(s). So there have been some new plant(s) and additions to capacity here in Ontario in the last 20 years.

Arguably the Fremont Tesla plant isn't new - it is very old as it dates as far back as 1961 when it was built by GM, at least according to Wikipedia.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric