Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March 2022 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stated why earlier in the thread. If you want to use it and you feel it’s safe then that’s on you.
I see in the app I can adjust the amperage used. It allows me to go from 5 to 12 amps. Are you thinking using 5 amps would make the charging safer? As an FYI, I dropped it to 5 amps overnight to be safe as I am working from home today and will only drive maybe 4 miles today and tomorrow so I am in no rush to charge up.

I see in the app I can adjust the amperage used. It allows me to go from 5 to 12 amps. Are you thinking using 5 amps would make the charging safer? As an FYI, I dropped it to 5 amps overnight to be safe as I am working from home today and will only drive maybe 4 miles today and tomorrow so I am in no rush to charge up.
The connection mechanism is the problem among other things. Will the mobile charger work for daily charging yes it will work but that doesn't mean it is the safest, fastest, or best choice long term. I don't want to hijack this thread but I feel this is an important point for anyone purchasing an EV in 2022 and beyond.

1) Receptacles have contacts that wear out with use. When they wear the connection can get loose and cause arcing. The result electricity turned into heat resulting in melting, burning, or possibly even fire.
2) Plugs 14-50, 14-30, etc. are mass produced and your depending on the quality workmanship in order to prevent the same situation as above. Poor quality, poorly made, or just from use can deteriorate and cause the same arcing as issue #1.

I have seen the first two issues happen numerous times over the last 10 years or so. both from faulty receptacles and faulty plugs.

3) The mobile charger, at least for me, I prefer to keep in the car in case I need to charge while on a road trip. If I use that at home as my primary charger than I either have to purchase a 2nd for travel or unhook and reconnect whenever I travel.
4) When an electrician installs a 14-50 receptacle code requires that a ground fault breaker be used. This results, from experience, in frequent tripping of the breaker because most chargers have built-in ground fault. The result is charging stops unexpectedly and frequently leading to the car not charging and frustration.
5) The mobile charger is limited to 32 amps, which may be fine for most people, but it doesn't take full advantage of the capability of the car.

It is very tempting to look at the mobile charger and try to save money by not having to install a home charger but it just isn't worth it. The safest, most reliable, and fastest solution is to install a proper home charger that is hard wired (hard wired does not require GFCI breaker). This eliminates all of the issues outlined above.

120v is an issue as well if you have other devices connected to the same circuit. For example a circuit can only use 80% capacity for continuous load according to NEMA. If you have a 15 amp circuit and your running a mobile charger at 12 amps you can overheat the circuit unless there is nothing else on it. Newer construction require arc fault protection on all 120v circuits to arcing will trip the breaker before it causing a safety issue. The problem with 120v charging is that it is very very slow.

To answer your question 12 amps is okay if you have nothing else on the same circuit. 8 or even 5 is safer if you have other things connected. Like I said above though a proper charging station like a wall connecter is the best solution long term.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I am not going to discuss this any further here. If you want to continue to discuss feel free to PM me. 🤓

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phrugal Phan
My original order (& never modified it) was March 1st. Hard to imagine having to wait from last year to get your car. Of course I put in two reservations for CTs last summer and thought I might get them by the end of 2022. How foolish I was.
Oh, wait, I see, you have FSD. Well, that is less hopeful for me. Back to complaining about not honoring reservations in the order received.