Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

March Budget 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe going back over old ground already covered here but to confirm: i just paid my first VED payment for my Model S (2nd year of ownership) in January. Is the thinking i should declare it SORN on 1 April and immediately re-tax at the new zero rate and I should then be given a pro-rata refund?
Luxury Car Tax RIP - Budget 2020

• Helpful
Reactions: Roy W. and GoTLSAGo
They only need to enter a VIN onto the portal. The car itself doesn't need to have been built yet.

The first part of the VIN contains the manufacturer and model, where it was built and which year, eg Tesla, Model 3, LR, 2020. It is only the last 6 digits that change for each individual car. Hence Tesla have all the VINs they need already, so it is easy for them to pair a VIN and customer.

I know the vin breakdown, although the numbers are used throughout the world so plenty of them will never make it to the UK.

I guess my point is that Tesla make cars and ship them and as they arrive into the UK they seem to get matched to buyers - and plenty of buyers don't seem to have been given their VIN yet (nor see it hiidden). If Tesla need a vin and a buyer as a pair to put it on the portal, what happens to the buyers without a matched car?

I imagine we'd all be second guessing what has actually happened

Maybe going back over old ground already covered here but to confirm: i just paid my first VED payment for my Model S (2nd year of ownership) in January. Is the thinking i should declare it SORN on 1 April and immediately re-tax at the new zero rate and I should then be given a pro-rata refund?
Whatever you decide don't Sorn it on the 1st, you have to do it at least by the last day of the previous month and then keep the car off the road until you retax it (if you can), otherwise you'll pay for April too...

I’ve read on the owners group that Tesla apply for the grant when they set the collection date - one gu6 to,d he ha£ it, another that he hasn’t. Don’t know what to believe but there could be a lot of annoyed people in the coming weeks

Not sure if i've seen this covered on the forum but for those on company car schemes and salary sacrifice there was also an announcement of the extension of the benefit in kind (BIK) for a further 2 years. The 22/23 rate of 2% will be extended for a further 2 years to 2025.

• Informative
Reactions: x-rm
I’ve read on the owners group that Tesla apply for the grant when they set the collection date - one gu6 to,d he ha£ it, another that he hasn’t. Don’t know what to believe but there could be a lot of annoyed people in the coming weeks
My contact at Tesla said they do it when you complete the order as in scan you licence and provide any proof of address required. I know he did mine the night I ordered it 'cos he told me and my car is still in Tilburg. They had applied for the grant for my original order and that was not even queued to be built yet...