Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Masking Sensor Locations for Applying Spray-on Protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A local shop in Utah is moving from adhesive-based films to a new spray on treatment. I got to examine the material applied to an Audi and test it out for damage resistance on a salvaged car hood. Having seen it, I'm a believer that it's far superior to any adhesive-based film, and as an added bonus it makes the paint about as lustrous as I have seen.

My one big reservation is Tesla's statement about Autopilot and Summon losing their guarantee if the AP sensors are covered with a film. (Yes, I know there are plenty of folks who have seen zero issues from films like XPEL.)

Does anyone know of a good reference source for where each of the sensors are so that we can mask those areas from the application?

AP is all camera's and none of them are in the body work, riskiest would be the one on the turn signals but even those will probably be taped by the guys who will spray it. The sensors on the bumpers are all only for parking and auto parking.

Front radar isn’t used for AP? Even with the correction, I’m still looking for guidance on masking the ultrasonic sensors and radar.

Front radar isn’t used for AP? Even with the correction, I’m still looking for guidance on masking the ultrasonic sensors and radar.

Well it will be for proximity, but not for the actual EAP driving per se. Those proximity beams you see in yellow and red flashing on the screen during auto pilot are the ultrasonic sensors. I would not expect any "issues" with any coating on these. Usual masking tape should be a straightforward solution if you really want to be cautious.

If you are unsure thats the best way to go.

But if coats of wax or dirt from not washing the car and road grime do no harm to their operation, I dont see how a spray protectant will impact anything

As you mentioned many have covered the sensors with no ill affect, I've personally plastidipped 3 teslas all I sprayed over the front bumper sensors with no problems. Having said that if your worried about it the simplest solution would just to be extra cautious and tell them to tape them off that way you'll have piece of mind and if anything ever does happen you'll be able to say no those were not sprayed.