Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.1 update released with 5% power increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Definitely feels as though the throttle pedal has been remapped to bring more torque in at less throttle position input which makes the car drive much better IMO...
I think it is likely that the max_torque setting got increased, which would have the effect you described. Previous estimates from the LR API, before that part of the API got disabled, were 250kW max power (measured) and 420Nm max torque (estimated). There are increasingly more Model 3 users pulling data from the CANBus. Shouldn't be too long to get the actual measured max torque from a RWD 3 on recent firmware.

Warmed up my battery by supercharging for 20 mins and pulled this from the canbus.

Attachments

• 788C5B2C-1AB1-41B3-82AE-0B9830E09C9F.png
    788C5B2C-1AB1-41B3-82AE-0B9830E09C9F.png
    516.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 60E5F669-C3E0-4397-8906-2C09DFFDB0FF.png
    60E5F669-C3E0-4397-8906-2C09DFFDB0FF.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Informative
Reactions: Arpe and KenC
Translation, please? What does this mean for HP and how does it compare with previous readings?

427 kw is 572.616 mechanical horsepower.

In theory this would be the equivalent of "engine" horsepower on an ICE vehicle- rather than wheel hp since it doesn't reflect drivetrain loss (though that'd be much lower on an EV than most ICE vehicles)

LR RWD definitely feels faster especially from 0-40 mph. The one pedal driving is amazing, I love it. Confirmed that only HW 3.0 cars see cones, though several people have mentioned 2.5 sees the cones but won't display probably because its too much for that chip to display, maybe would utilize too much processing to display them. I bought mine mid May and it says 4/2019 on door sticker and this confirmed I have HW 3.0 so happy.

Reactions: willow_hiller

In theory this would be the equivalent of "engine" horsepower on an ICE vehicle- rather than wheel hp since it doesn't reflect drivetrain loss (though that'd be much lower on an EV than most ICE vehicles)

The motor is not 100% efficient at converting electrical energy to mechanical work so the total motor output will be a bit lower, so not quite equivalent. It is more equivalent to the energy/time (power) content of the fuel being fed to an ICE engine (though ICE losses are a LOT higher to the wheels for THAT metric. :) ). Still, this kW number is higher than I would have expected! Maybe there are more losses than I thought in electrical -> wheels.

I understand the conversion from KW to HP and about drivetrain losses, but thanks.

It was around 400kw previously I believe. 427kw is the battery discharge power, not power at the wheels. Someone would need to dyno the car. I am just confirming an approx 5% increase in output power before losses, plus providing a bunch of additional nerd stats :)

Thanks. Including the numbers from the previous release gives the context needed to better understand the data.

LR RWD definitely feels faster especially from 0-40 mph. The one pedal driving is amazing, I love it. Confirmed that only HW 3.0 cars see cones, though several people have mentioned 2.5 sees the cones but won't display probably because its too much for that chip to display, maybe would utilize too much processing to display them. I bought mine mid May and it says 4/2019 on door sticker and this confirmed I have HW 3.0 so happy.
No processing power is needed to display something it already sees. It could just be a software fork (which purportedly happens with this release) so that the branch for HW2.5 does not have the show come implemented. Or just disable because it’s not as reliable. Or maybe they want to test it in the field only on a subset of the cars. I think the last one is more likely.