Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2019.36.1 update released with 5% power increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the nag time has been lowered with this latest update. I've always set my speed at 77 mph on my daily commute to work. Before this update, it always took 25 seconds of hands-free driving before the nag reminder popped up. Now (on the exact same route and exact same speed), nag reminder always pops up every 20 seconds.

It sure would be nice if you could find patch notes with this level of detail when a rollout comes out.

Dang you get 30 miles more charge than I do at 90%. Must be nice to still get the full 310

I thought that range will be improved after this update but I don't see any differences. Mine @ 90% shows about 260 miles (LR AWD) use to be 279 but one time I have drained the battery down to 7% and next day my original range was gone!!! Took it to Tesla SC and they told me that my battery is all good all I can to do is to relax and drive!

I think the nag time has been lowered with this latest update. I've always set my speed at 77 mph on my daily commute to work. Before this update, it always took 25 seconds of hands-free driving before the nag reminder popped up. Now (on the exact same route and exact same speed), nag reminder always pops up every 20 seconds.

Very possible indeed. It’s still speed-dependent though.

Mine just updated, too! 2019.32.12.2 ---> 2019.36.2.1 Denver area.

Per StatsApp, I was among the last 2% to go to 32.12.2, so am happy that I’m now part of the 60% currently on 36.2.1.

Just goes to show that there’s no discernible timing on software updates for anyone in particular.

I thought that range will be improved after this update but I don't see any differences. Mine @ 90% shows about 260 miles (LR AWD) use to be 279 but one time I have drained the battery down to 7% and next day my original range was gone!!! Took it to Tesla SC and they told me that my battery is all good all I can to do is to relax and drive!
mine dropped too with this update......im not too happy....battery charged accidentally to 100%....idling in garage is really draining fast....when charged to 100%, only had 305 miles....will let go to <10% and charge to 90% to see it I am back at 283......

mine dropped too with this update......im not too happy....battery charged accidentally to 100%....idling in garage is really draining fast....when charged to 100%, only had 305 miles....will let go to <10% and charge to 90% to see it I am back at 283......

Serious question: Why does it matter/why do you care if the range changes by 10 miles? How could it possibly affect you or really anyone? Did anyone actually notice or care if the projected range on their ICE vehicle changed by 10 miles?

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where that 10 mile difference, even if it's loss, would prevent the car from completing a trip, or inconveniencing the driver....

Last edited:
Serious question: Why does it matter/why do you care if the range changes by 10 miles? How could it possibly affect you or really anyone? Did anyone actually notice or care if the projected range on their ICE vehicle changed by 10 miles?

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where that 10 mile difference, even if it's loss, would prevent the car from completing a trip, or inconvenience the driver....

I wouldn’t notice or care for a 10mile loss in range in my ice cars...mostly I guess because there are gas stations everywhere. I did an NY to Chicago road trip this past summer. First time doing a long trip in an EV. I’m one that never let my cars go below 1/4 tank, so it took some time for me to get comfortable driving so low into the battery’s SOC. 10 miles loss definitely wouldn’t prevent anyone from completing a trip. But it could possibly be a difference of can you skip one supercharger and make it to the next...without adjusting how fast you like to drive or how low you want to get into the battery. Maybe 10miles is a stretch for that idea...but it brings the thought...when will I lose another 10. 20miles loss definitely plays into that roll. That being said my rated range at 100% is down to 294 after 15k miles...and it hasn’t changed my mind that this is my favorite car I’ve ever owned/driven lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavlo_Y

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where that 10 mile difference, even if it's loss, would prevent the car from completing a trip, or inconvenience the driver....
I have been in situations where this would make a difference where I would not need to run a 50 ft NEMA 14-50 extension cable to someone’s electric stove outlet. So any range extension is welcome.
If you are still struggling imagining this situation send me a private message and I’ll explain it in detail.

My range seems to float between 307 and 292 hovering around 295 average. I use TeslaFi and next weekend I’m going the CANbus monitoring route for more detail.

I'm struggling to imagine a scenario where that 10 mile difference, even if it's loss, would prevent the car from completing a trip, or inconveniencing the driver....
well.....it bothers me.....should not happen.....I equate this to a pint of gas leak....loosing fuel of any kind is not a good thing.....whether you care or not is of no interest to me

Reactions: PearlShark

If you pay for something, you should get it. If I order a 10pc Chicken McNuggets, I expect all 10 to be in there, naw mean?

Reactions: PearlShark
Range improvements were mentioned on the latest earnings call writeups as coming but the release notes make no mention of that.
It is possible that will be a future release or could be just the power boost is what they meant and there is no range boost coming.

Still mind blowing how my car keeps improving via these free software updates!
Fan of what feels like more even power and the smoother regen with the new hold feature.
No major change in range for me, no decline, if anything I see a slight boost more charging to 80% after this most recent update.

Was always charging to 80% I charge to 80% ; usually 5 days a week ; car would always state 247 miles
After this most recent update, also charging to 80% car states 250 miles for the last 2 days
LR AWD
248 miles is 80% of 310

The upgraded (long range) battery was a $13,000 CAD option in my RWD.

My car is giving 30 miles less (rated range) than what I purchased. Indicating I am not getting the correct battery capacity I purchased.
The battery capacity (kWh) also affects other performance parameters, like acceleration. It's arguably the most important number in an EV.

I would agree that people seeing a 10mile (3%) discrepancy are probably more worried than they should be, but at 10% below rated range there is cause for concern.

• Disagree
Reactions: ras5500 and KenC

My car is giving 30 miles less (rated range) than what I purchased. Indicating I am not getting the correct battery capacity I purchased.
The battery capacity (kWh) also affects other performance parameters, like acceleration. It's arguably the most important number in an EV.

I would agree that people seeing a 10mile (3%) discrepancy are probably more worried than they should be, but at 10% below rated range there is cause for concern.

Something to watch over but 10% loss is still well within the healthy battery range per Telsa's battery warranty.
If you researched these type of batteries prior to purchase you would know that overtime the battery will degrade and lose some range, the biggest loss is usually in the first year. Not saying you should be happy with a 10% loss but if your car is a year old, I am not sure it is that unexpected, as long as you don't continue to lose range at that rate. Hopefully you go a couple of years with little or no more loss of range from today on.

First time poster! I did an online chat and asked the rep if previous SR+ model owners we're getting the bump to 250 miles, and after a long pause, I was told "Thank you for your patience and support of Tesla, I cannot speculate on this at this time".

Expecting to get an accurate answer from online chat... not going to happen with Telsa.
Even speaking to Telsa employees ; you will rarely get an accurate answer.

That is really why this forum is so popular, it is the best source of information about Tesla and you can get all of your questions answered here with far more accuracy.

Have you checked what the BMS reports your capacity to be? I wouldn't rely on the displayed miles rating for tracking degradation.

Reactions: PACEMD
well.....it bothers me.....should not happen....

You’ve had this update for a few days, and the range estimate can vary by 10 miles even on a single car day-to-day. (just like on an ICE vehicle.

Most of the country also just experienced a cold snap, which by itself could easily account for such a change.

I just don’t see that there’s anything to complain/worry about.

YMMV (literally and figuratively)

Reactions: RobRain