Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So practically speaking, if the time doesn't matter (have something else to drive around no matter how long it takes) which is the better battery to take? I talked to Tesla and the rep I spoke with said they are unlikely to switch over Sr+ Model 3s to LFP anytime soon in terms of new orders--this is really just a stop gap to allow people waiting a long time to take delivery sooner. Is the LFP superior based on factual data currently available? If not I'm inclined to keep waiting for my original order.

So practically speaking, if the time doesn't matter (have something else to drive around no matter how long it takes) which is the better battery to take? I talked to Tesla and the rep I spoke with said they are unlikely to switch over Sr+ Model 3s to LFP anytime soon in terms of new orders--this is really just a stop gap to allow people waiting a long time to take delivery sooner. Is the LFP superior based on factual data currently available? If not I'm inclined to keep waiting for my original order.
There is no "best" choice, just a different choice. Do some Googling, searching, and reading and you'll find plenty of discussion on LFP vs NCA batteries.

There is no "best" choice, just a different choice. Do some Googling, searching, and reading and you'll find plenty of discussion on LFP vs NCA batteries.

There is a really (really really really) long thread here on the topic of these batteries in SR+ vehicles as they were launched in Europe a while ago. Emphasis on the "really really long".

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Not even a con really. You can charge LFP batteries to 100% consistently so real world range is actually 253. Since NCA batteries don't like being above 80-90% very often, the real world range is 237 miles max.

Yes but it is estimated. Real life miles could be much worse. No one will know until they get one and try driving it at 100%. But the real benefit is cycle life. You can charge it many more times without any impact to battery life. I would be wary if I am in extreme climate zones.

Reactions: Rusty1
Yes but it is estimated. Real life miles could be much worse. No one will know until they get one and try driving it at 100%. But the real benefit is cycle life. You can charge it many more times without any impact to battery life. I would be wary if I am in extreme climate zones.
I don’t follow. 263 and 253 for NCA & LFP are both EPA estimates. So it’s an apples to apples comparison, no?

I don’t follow. 263 and 253 for NCA & LFP are both EPA estimates. So it’s an apples to apples comparison, no?

Those numbers are both at 100%. The issue is would you want to charge at 100% to achieve those numbers!

The current NCA pack does not like us to charge at 100% as a daily routine while the LFP can be charged at 100% at all times, daily, routinely.

So it's an occasional 263 vs the always 253.

The NCA pack has a realistic daily 234 (90%) range while the LFP has the always 253 (100%) range.

We have to baby the NCA pack and avoid 100% as much as possible while we don't have such worry with the LFP.

Reactions: Rusty1
Those numbers are both at 100%. The issue is would you want to charge at 100% to achieve those numbers!

The current NCA pack does not like us to charge at 100% as a daily routine while the LFP can be charged at 100% at all times, daily, routinely.

So it's an occasional 263 vs the always 253.

The NCA pack has a realistic daily 234 (90%) range while the LFP has the always 253 (100%) range.

We have to baby the NCA pack and avoid 100% as much as possible while we don't have such worry with the LFP.
Yes, that’s what I said originally…Ken seemed to dispute that theory

So living in phoenix I'd say I live in an "extreme climate zone" but I've only read issues with cold climates with the LFP. Have you seen that it might struggle with hot climates as well? we get over 120 here in the summer.

So living in phoenix I'd say I live in an "extreme climate zone" but I've only read issues with cold climates with the LFP. Have you seen that it might struggle with hot climates as well? we get over 120 here in the summer.

I think the pros for LFP:
.safety (harder to go up in flame)
.longevity
.durability (extreme temperatures)

It's not new. It's been old but Tesla did not use it because:

The cons:
.less performance (When Tesla started, it wanted to have an image of fast cars like Roadster, Ludicrous, Plaid... not slower Standard Range Plus)
.slower charging rate
.heavier (bulkier and takes up more space)

Last edited:
I ordered one of the LFPs from the drop on 8/26, got the VIN immediately but still no EDD. Anyone else?
I had a previous order that slipped from Aug to Oct, so I ordered LFP on 8/26. The vehicle said in Atlanta. I am in Atlanta. I filled out all the paperwork, got insurance, uploaded the insurance. Even went to see in the two local dealership if it is sitting in the parking lots. Nada. Today, crickets :) I called the customer services today. CS rep pinged the vehicle and my car is on a train. Now I am thinking Cali - Atlanta? What's in the middle? Ida. Face palm. I am preparing for a longer wait. Too bad, because anytime there is a hurricane in the Gulf, few days later we have gas shortages in ATL. Sure it would be nice to have Tesla ready. :)

Reactions: Big Earl