Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Max Battery Power" for preheat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to embark on an aggressive leg: 293 miles, in an XP100D with rated range of 289 miles. It's not freeway, so speeds are slower, which will help. And there's plenty of RV parks along the way for emergency top-ups.

But I'm wondering: would it help maximize my range to put the car into "Max Battery Power" mode before departing to pre-heat the battery pack? Temps are forecasted to be in the upper 40s-lower 50s Fahrenheit, so I'm thinking this might improve my overall thermal picture. I'd turn the mode off before unplugging, of course!

Would this work? Anybody tried it? Thanks for any insights you might have.

I was speaking to a tech when i was doing a ride-along on Wednesday and he said that Max Battery is not the most efficient, but that it just helps for the high performance 0-60 blasts...

I would say run max battery for 15-20 minutes so it doesn't get to full max battery and you should be fine.

BTW, 2 weeks ago i was driving between superchargers on the PA turnpike (in a MS75D) and decided to cut my previous Supercharger visit short and i was getting warnings saying that i would have to drive less than 55mph to make it to the next supercharger. I set the cruise to 75mph and went to 0% 7 miles from the supercharger! :) All that happened was that it reduced motor output (didn't reduce speed) and i arrived at the supercharger with -1%! :D:D:D

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby