TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Maximizing 0-60 & 1/4mi. times

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by JoshG, Jul 12, 2016.

1. JoshG

JoshG Member

I'm trying to collect the ultimate checklist for maximizing Tesla acceleration times. Hoping the speed gurus here can help fill in this list for us amateurs. I've heard debate about some of them (i.e. Launch Control and Slip-start) and I'm confused on others. Please help clarify or correct the list if you can.

Which of these are proven, believed, irrelevant, or still unknown?
    1. State of Charge - heard conflicting advice: 100%? 95%? 90%? Sounds like this may be battery pack version dependent?
    2. Charge Amperage - highest is best to get temps up? (Supercharger best?)
    3. Ludicrous on (obviously)
    4. Max Battery On
    5. Launch Control on?
    6. Slip Start on?
    7. A/C off?
    8. All other electrical off? (audio, fan, lights??? seriously? could this really matter?)
    9. Windows up
    10. Pano roof closed
    11. What about ride height? Presumably "lowest" setting would be best?
    12. Tire pressure - air down a bit for more surface contact patch? or air up a bit for lowest rolling resistance?
    13. no passengers!
    14. Remove all items in trunks, etc
    15. Wheels - 19" or 21"?
    16. CF spoiler present - any effect?
    17. air temp? (not that it can be controlled, but would higher/lower outside temps be better?)
    any other tips?

2. Ames

Ames Member

Two things you could add to your checklist; folding in the mirrors, and making sure your tires are not wet (the start of the track is usually wet for the guys with RWD doing burnouts).

I got an 11.8 with 96% SOC Versus an 11.2 with 94% SOC; the difference being that I forgot to close the windows and I didn't do a mini burnout to dry the tires.

3. JoshG

JoshG Member

good additions. Never thought of folding the mirrors. Trying to imagine if there really is a drag coefficient increase there, but worth a shot.

4. xborg

xborg Member

I'm not sure if folding the mirrors would decrease the air drag. It may even increase it. Gotta test it.

5. XJ9000

XJ9000 Member

Maximizing the 0-60 and 1/4 mile time is quite simple.
    1) Sit in the car with your foot on the brake
    2) Do not touch the accelerator

• Funny x 3
  6. JoshG

JoshG Member

ha. yes, i get it smart guy. :rolleyes:
    OK... "minimizing".

7. Ames

Ames Member

Hahaha; I totally didn't get that!

8. Old Wyseguy

Old Wyseguy Member

Yes indeed! Move your drivers seat farther forward than normal. Practical experience has shown me that the G-force at launch will lighten your pressure on the go pedal.

9. amallah

amallah Member

I tested folding in the mirrors and ride height at my last trip to the drag strip and there was no difference - my fastest time was standard ride height and mirrors out.

10. JoshG

JoshG Member

Not surprised the mirrors made no difference, but I'd have thought ride height could change things quite a bit. you tested lowest setting vs. highest setting?