Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximizing 0-60 & 1/4mi. times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JoshG

Jun 23, 2011
I'm trying to collect the ultimate checklist for maximizing Tesla acceleration times. Hoping the speed gurus here can help fill in this list for us amateurs. I've heard debate about some of them (i.e. Launch Control and Slip-start) and I'm confused on others. Please help clarify or correct the list if you can.

Which of these are proven, believed, irrelevant, or still unknown?
  1. State of Charge - heard conflicting advice: 100%? 95%? 90%? Sounds like this may be battery pack version dependent?
  2. Charge Amperage - highest is best to get temps up? (Supercharger best?)
  3. Ludicrous on (obviously)
  4. Max Battery On
  5. Launch Control on?
  6. Slip Start on?
  7. A/C off?
  8. All other electrical off? (audio, fan, lights??? seriously? could this really matter?)
  9. Windows up
  10. Pano roof closed
  11. What about ride height? Presumably "lowest" setting would be best?
  12. Tire pressure - air down a bit for more surface contact patch? or air up a bit for lowest rolling resistance?
  13. no passengers!
  14. Remove all items in trunks, etc
  15. Wheels - 19" or 21"?
  16. CF spoiler present - any effect?
  17. air temp? (not that it can be controlled, but would higher/lower outside temps be better?)
any other tips?

Two things you could add to your checklist; folding in the mirrors, and making sure your tires are not wet (the start of the track is usually wet for the guys with RWD doing burnouts).

I got an 11.8 with 96% SOC Versus an 11.2 with 94% SOC; the difference being that I forgot to close the windows and I didn't do a mini burnout to dry the tires.

I'm trying to collect the ultimate checklist for maximizing Tesla acceleration times. Hoping the speed gurus here can help fill in this list for us amateurs. I've heard debate about some of them (i.e. Launch Control and Slip-start) and I'm confused on others. Please help clarify or correct the list if you can.

Which of these are proven, believed, irrelevant, or still unknown?
  1. State of Charge - heard conflicting advice: 100%? 95%? 90%? Sounds like this may be battery pack version dependent?
  2. Charge Amperage - highest is best to get temps up? (Supercharger best?)
  3. Ludicrous on (obviously)
  4. Max Battery On
  5. Launch Control on?
  6. Slip Start on?
  7. A/C off?
  8. All other electrical off? (audio, fan, lights??? seriously? could this really matter?)
  9. Windows up
  10. Pano roof closed
  11. What about ride height? Presumably "lowest" setting would be best?
  12. Tire pressure - air down a bit for more surface contact patch? or air up a bit for lowest rolling resistance?
  13. no passengers!
  14. Remove all items in trunks, etc
  15. Wheels - 19" or 21"?
  16. CF spoiler present - any effect?
  17. air temp? (not that it can be controlled, but would higher/lower outside temps be better?)
any other tips?

Yes indeed! Move your drivers seat farther forward than normal. Practical experience has shown me that the G-force at launch will lighten your pressure on the go pedal.

I tested folding in the mirrors and ride height at my last trip to the drag strip and there was no difference - my fastest time was standard ride height and mirrors out.
Not surprised the mirrors made no difference, but I'd have thought ride height could change things quite a bit. you tested lowest setting vs. highest setting?