Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
So they are
I will do
IMG_9569.jpeg

IMG_9565.jpeg

IMG_9564.jpeg

IMG_9557.jpeg

IMG_9550.jpeg

and this is the front. it has some protection but not as good as the rears have
IMG_9552.jpeg

Really nice curp protection now

305/35r21 in the rear and the 275/35R21 in the front
Haven't tested efficiency good enough yet, but first numbers look like about 8-10% higher

I want to try 285/35r21 in the front some time in the future.
Maybe someone tried this already?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I asked. The lead guy said none needed. They're all wearing evenly. (It's been approx. 5K mi).
Have a laugh, I reduced wheel size to 20 inch 9.5 All round, 285/35/20 tires. MPP comphy kit set as low as possible, set slightly lower than MMP spec as NE Ohio roads are not too good. Drive some miles to my favorite test road with ridges and patches for about 2 miles. The kids where great the ride was faultless , probably due to the fact the road had been fully resurfaced!!!!!!!!. No seriously the car rides a lot better bumps are they are way better absorbed. Also high speed much less nervous.
Did you go 20” uberturbine?

Upvote 0
I just did the same for my MYP. Swapped the rear 275’s to the front and bought new 295’s for the rear (Michelin AS4’s). The extra load and higher speed rating required for this car means good tires are not cheap, but you can take this step for under $1000 and it rides and looks great. Much better than original. When I replace all 4 tires next time I may go from the 35’s to 40’s—but this set up is better than original for sure.
Did the ride improve with 35s? If how are you sble to quantify if? The reasonI ask is, I feel the ride in OEM 35s is very uncomfortable and literally everything on road is noticeable. I am bery confused b/w 265/285 with 40 or 275/295 40.

Upvote 0
For all those than moved the rear tires to the front and are running 295/35/21 on the rear , how did it affect efficiency? Debating about doing this but trying to see all the negatives. Thanks in advance !
For me, less than 3% reduction on the highway; closer to 7-8% around town. For those planning to calculate your own values, please remember to adjust for the increased circumference of the new tire spec, which will serve to offset some of the perceived increase in consumption. As always, YMMV. Good luck.

Upvote 0
For me, less than 3% reduction on the highway; closer to 7-8% around town. For those planning to calculate your own values, please remember to adjust for the increased circumference of the new tire spec, which will serve to offset some of the perceived increase in consumption. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
Thanks for the response! No issues of rubbing or other issues? If had to go back would you change anything in your decision lol. Figured it would be the easiest and cheapest to just buy two wheels and sell the fronts.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response! No issues of rubbing or other issues? If had to go back would you change anything in your decision lol. Figured it would be the easiest and cheapest to just buy two wheels and sell the fronts.
Hoi heb je dit gedaan om je velgen beter te beschermen? In plaats van Alloygators bedoel ik...
exactly what "MJP.P3D-" also says.
I don't like those alligators and with a 305 you really have a very thick protection for damage and it also looks nice

Upvote 0
I thought I saw somewhere that you also had 255/40 and 275/40 on your car. If that’s right, how does it compare to now with 275/35 and 305/35?
correct I had them before. the 255/275 is still a little stretched and find the 275/305 is much more comfortable as they can use the sidewall correctly. Did a 500 km strip today and really like the size and Pirelli's

Upvote 0
Where are you guys finding a single brand of tires in both 275 and 305 35/21? All I could find was pzero summer tires and a bunch of winter tires.

You seem to get a lot more choices in the 275/295 sizes.
I'm in Europe and we have different tires than you guys in the USA. the from 275 are the OEM Tesla P zero's with foam and elect. the 305 P zero's are also with foam but have a Bentley spec and so not elect. same treadwear 280 all around

Upvote 0
Any noticeable changes in range efficiency?
So I measured this with the various wheels and yesterday finilazed with the 275/305's

Consumption with 19 Gemini (covers on) 90km/h 143 wh/km and 120 km/h 191 wh/km
Consumption with 19 Gemini (covers off) 90km/h 146 wh/km and 120 km/h 196 wh/km
Consumption with 21 uberturbines 255/275 90km/h 144 wh/km and 120 km/h 203 wh/km
Consumption with 21 uberturbines 275/3055 90km/h 147 wh/km and 120 km/h 205 wh/km

Upvote 0