Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
You’re the man! That’s the kind of info I’m looking for! Now…I wonder if I can go up to a 305 in the rear? Haha

Thank you for the info!
IMG_3193.JPG

In case you are interested, the stock Pirelli 255/275 tires are in the top photo, and the Michelin all season 275/295 tires are in the bottom photo.

Upvote 1
Took delivery last Sunday and switched out the stock tires for these 265/40/21(front)and 285/40/21(rear)on Saturday.
Highly recommend! Looks better and drives better! No rubbing that I could tell. Set the PSI to 41 on all four but not sure if that makes a difference or not. Thanks for everyone who blazed the trail to confirm this setup works! Here‘s a couple of before and after pics of the fronts.
255/35/21
B7F0D0AA-ADB8-4A46-B49F-7B7EBF6381FA.jpeg

265/40/21

20D1E4F7-4522-468E-B5BF-32D8BDA9D10D.jpeg

Upvote 1
Wanted to add another data point in this thread. I recently installed Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 (103Y variant - no acoustic foam) on my '22 MYP.

Front - 275/35R21
Rear - 295/35R21

After going back and forth with Michelin customer support, I decided against mounting the 103W EV specific 275 tire up front and waited until I could get the same speed-rated Y tire which has no foam. Apparently there are differences in the tire construction/sidewall stiffness between the two versions. There's a Tyre Reviews Youtube video about differences in the same model of tire (e.g. OEM vs. aftermarket) which supports that.

I love the look of them on the Uberturbines. They really should have come from the factory like this; no more weird stretch. The ride is firm but not harsh. The OEM Pirelli PZero felt like the car crashed through potholes or train crossings. No rub on full lock or in the back with load. Feels like a summer tire in terms of traction both in dry and wet.

Upvote 1
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Solution

Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I’m having trouble trying to find a tire that I like that also comes in both sizes that I need. Good to know the largest I can go in front as I will use that as my search criteria now.

Do you think I’d still be safe in the rear if I went up to a 295/40/R21?

Upvote 0
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any pictures of your car? Interested to see what it looks like with spacers.

Upvote 0

Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I have all season 275/35R21 on the front and 295/35R21 on the rear and they fit great, I love the look, and they ride is good.

Upvote 0