Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Solution

Good luck.
Thanks for the info! I’m having trouble trying to find a tire that I like that also comes in both sizes that I need. Good to know the largest I can go in front as I will use that as my search criteria now.

Do you think I’d still be safe in the rear if I went up to a 295/40/R21?

Upvote 0
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any pictures of your car? Interested to see what it looks like with spacers.

Upvote 0

Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I have all season 275/35R21 on the front and 295/35R21 on the rear and they fit great, I love the look, and they ride is good.

Upvote 0
You’re the man! That’s the kind of info I’m looking for! Now…I wonder if I can go up to a 305 in the rear? Haha

Thank you for the info!
IMG_3193.JPG

In case you are interested, the stock Pirelli 255/275 tires are in the top photo, and the Michelin all season 275/295 tires are in the bottom photo.

Upvote 1
No, 295/35 R21 is max for the rear or 285/40 R21 if you want more sidewall. I am pretty sure 295/40 R21 will not work, maybe someone has tried it out...
I hope you’re wrong because I’ve got a set of 295/40/21 that I’m hoping to have installed next week. Others have managed 285/40 and 295/35, it’s only very slightly taller and rough measurements seem to indicate they’ll fit. But I’ve considered ordering a backup pair of 295/35 just to be safe.

Reactions: FlyGuyM0delY
Upvote 0
I hope you’re wrong because I’ve got a set of 295/40/21 that I’m hoping to have installed next week. Others have managed 285/40 and 295/35, it’s only very slightly taller and rough measurements seem to indicate they’ll fit. But I’ve considered ordering a backup pair of 295/35 just to be safe.
Please keep us all posted! I’d love to run 295/40 in the rear. What tire are you going with?

Upvote 0
Since the diameter is greater than 28”, does that mean the actual speed of the car is higher than the indicated speed?
Yes, slightly. It varies by speed, but according to the size at 60 MPH it’s about 1 MPH greater. But, I have driven past at least 5-10 of those electronic signs that show your speed and every one has exactly matched my Tesla odometer. I also believe that car odometers are not accurate and have some percentage of variation. So with these tires I consider the speed difference to be negligible.

Reactions: Canyonero
Upvote 0