Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fail after energy save mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 S85. Recently started using energy save mode. This morning, MCU will not wake up, and car takes about a minute to start up.

At SC, tried to pull fuse, no luck. They’ll try to do a full wipe and see if that works but otherwise I’ll need to fork up $2500 (apparently they have an updated mcu 1 design, new bluetooth antenna needed, but definitely won’t be refurbished or MCU 2).

Questions:
1. Has anyone with similar symptoms ever gotten out of this situation by SC resetting car? My wallet could use some false hope at this point.

2. Assuming new MCU needed, has anyone found a way to cut that bill in half if you’re out of warranty? I’m open to any successful hail mary approach short of causing a scene and burning bridges as this is my local SC.

• Informative
Reactions: hydro and hpartsch
It's rear they fail. But anything is possible. Just like when you get a flat tire it is just stuff that happens. Maybe your in hot climate and it just overheated or Dusty area. To many if's to count. And many Tesla's have fas more then 170 miles on the same mcu. Nothing to worry everyone else about.

It is common for the eMMC storage to fail on the MCUs, but Tesla doesn't replace just the eMMC, they replace the whole thing. (And then probably refurbish it for the next person with failed eMMC.)

I have seen one person say that resetting the MCU got them going again, but I don't know how long that lasted.

2013 S85. Recently started using energy save mode. This morning, MCU will not wake up, and car takes about a minute to start up.

At SC, tried to pull fuse, no luck. They’ll try to do a full wipe and see if that works but otherwise I’ll need to fork up $2500 (apparently they have an updated mcu 1 design, new bluetooth antenna needed, but definitely won’t be refurbished or MCU 2).

Questions:
1. Has anyone with similar symptoms ever gotten out of this situation by SC resetting car? My wallet could use some false hope at this point.

2. Assuming new MCU needed, has anyone found a way to cut that bill in half if you’re out of warranty? I’m open to any successful hail mary approach short of causing a scene and burning bridges as this is my local SC.
Any update on your end? Saw this video and thought of you. Maybe he could fix it for much cheaper.

Curious, what does a replacement MCU now cost total with/without goodwill if your willing to share.I'm assuming $2500 is just the parts? I'd be willing to bet the new MCU 1 only has LTE -- but that's my opinion.
About $2500 plus tax without goodwill. MCU part is $2100, and a few bucks for bluetooth antenna and rear view camera hsd jumper (not sure what those are or why they needed replacement).

Also, just noticed on invoice they did a free Liftgate Drain Plugs Retrofit. Random but happy to receive that proactively.

About $2500 plus tax without goodwill. MCU part is $2100, and a few bucks for bluetooth antenna and rear view camera hsd jumper (not sure what those are or why they needed replacement).

Also, just noticed on the invoice they did a free Liftgate Drain Plugs Retrofit. Random but happy to receive that proactively.
Nice, that was a TSB for the tail light light condensation problem. At my last service -- they told me they were going to do it -- but it wasn't listed on the invoice... I'll have to re-find the pictures of the old/new parts to check and see if it was done. Hope your repair free for a while! My dc-dc converter just went out last month... About the same cost without warranty. Hopefully, yours died/got replaced already.

Nice, that was a TSB for the tail light light condensation problem. At my last service -- they told me they were going to do it -- but it wasn't listed on the invoice... I'll have to re-find the pictures of the old/new parts to check and see if it was done. Hope your repair free for a while! My dc-dc converter just went out last month... About the same cost without warranty. Hopefully, yours died/got replaced already.
The old part looks like two flat black solid plugs under the bottom of your liftgate that you can see when it's open. The new design has holes on both ends of them to allow captured water to drain out when closed.

Reactions: hpartsch