Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Y has been losing 2-5% per day in "standby energy usage"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had this issue for a long time. I have never used third party apps and have followed any of the recommendations.
Recently I have tried closing the Tesla app on my phone. It pops up and warns me not to do it so it won't impact the performance of the key function blablabla but low and behold no more standby current.
This reminds me that I sometimes saw my car in the bluetooth connections on my phone when it was parked. Everything I could turn off was off but it showed up anyways. Since I keep closing the Tesla app I don't have the issue anymore.
Turns out at least for me its not third party apps but the official app causing the problem.
Disable sentry completely instead of relying on the exclusion (which sometimes bugs out) and check again. And is your 2-3% per day measured over a course of a few days? If not, it may just be a temporary lower SOC detection that recovers as the battery warms back up (sometimes it doesn't show the snow flake even in this case if it's just borderline).

Mine was 2-3% per day so for 4 days I'd lose 8-12%. Turned out temperature had nothing to do with the loss and Found solution to my issue: Deleted home wifi (i.e. forgot wifi) and car stopped draining battery. Car is parked approx 100 feet away from wifi and I guess the car was attempting to connect to home wifi after signal loss and as it was within range.

Thanks for the suggestion. def also worth looking into as I have never thought that far as sentry mode off meant "OFF".

Reactions: Jerrboyy
66B72E32-8C7E-4CD3-B426-9A88DC93459C.jpeg
I recently noticed my stand by energy usage is much higher than 1%/day when I left the car unplugged at the airport for 7 days. During this time it lost 32.8% from just vehicle standby (4.5%/day). (attached file, very dusty; its mostly the lighting I swear!!)

Sentry mode was off, no 3rd party, did not check the car often (I think twice near the end of our trip), not sure the status of wifi, cabin heat protection was on, but I switched it to off (and that has it's own bucket).

I've contacted service and they did a remote diagnostic and found the battery to be 'normal health' so they close the ticket (I'm still talking about it with them).

I'm trying to figure out; this can't be how the car operates right? This isn't normal? The car seems to be okay if I don't drive for the day, but after I drive it starts draining like crazy. The car recommends to plug in the car to reduce energy loss, I've done this and the % usage still went up by 2% for the rest of the day. The vehicle standby goes up while plugged in!

I have feeling this has actually been going on for a while because this 'Park' tab on the energy app is somewhat new (we've had the car for 1 year- its a '22, new), but I noticed on the battery usage there would be a big dip after going somewhere and leaving again. Is this dip normal? Usually this dip is .5% or maybe 1% (which could be normal usage) but I have a feeling that most of the dip is from standby energy usage (though obviously you'd expect a dip from precondition/cabin protection/etc). For example, I've attached the graph from this morning. I did 2 trips, was gone for less than 2 hours (about 90min) and the standby energy usage is 1.1%. Everything else is 0% (for the 'park' tab). Based on the vertical drops you can tell when I got back in the car. (around the 4mile and 6 mile, though curiously there isn't one at the 2 miles drive point). (this is to the same place btw, so about .5% of battery of driving one way).

So; in conclusion I feel like I'm taking crazy pills and I'm curious if anyone else notices a dip on their battery % graphs when getting back in the car and if the amount of dip is normal. Secondly, I feel like the standby energy usage shouldn't go up while plugged in but I don't really know what that energy bucket is tracking anyway.

There is definitely something wrong with your vehicle. Im guessing the occupancy seat sensor is faulty. How do you lock your car? Does car auto lock when you walk away with bluetooth or not? I just calculate the average for all my 6+ day idles (I had 10) and the average consumption was about 0.4kWh/24 hours parked. On the longest idle (10 days) battery fell from 23% to 20% used 2.7kWh and avg interior temp was 19°C/66F. The highest consumption day (6.9 days idle) battery went from 38% to 30% used 6.2kWh and avg interior temp was 17°C/63F.

However, I am noticing higher idle consumption in winter weather (-10°C/14F avg days). I thought it was because my data sharing was on, but it was also on in times when idle consumed very little so I dont think so. Its most likely BMS adjusting voltages of cells. However Im not sure how to prevent any further loss besides keeping sentry off and other active features.

The app I use to track data is called Tessie. I HIGHLY recommend it if you’re a nerd like me. The developer James responds so quickly to bugs and really cares about every issue as he developed it entirely himself. Link to check it out: https://share.tessie.com/lXpqgSvX6tb

Attachments

• A3A4E9C5-5549-480D-B8A3-6298321513B8.png
    A3A4E9C5-5549-480D-B8A3-6298321513B8.png
    544.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 02286249-F583-4E47-BEBE-7A0734078697.jpeg
    02286249-F583-4E47-BEBE-7A0734078697.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 18
I had a car update and I've had almost a week without much loss (like .2% in 5 days) for standby. Fingers crossed. I was just not plugging it in and I noticed that now the car has very low standby usage. The other factor that has changed is I'm driving a lot more than normal. I'm doing 250 miles a week vs. the ~100. Not sure if that influences it, though, obviously.

I had a car update and I've had almost a week without much loss (like .2% in 5 days) for standby. Fingers crossed. I was just not plugging it in and I noticed that now the car has very low standby usage. The other factor that has changed is I'm driving a lot more than normal. I'm doing 250 miles a week vs. the ~100. Not sure if that influences it, though, obviously.
Is your trip Wh/mile reported by the car getting worse or better?

My 23 Y long range still shows the random "vehicle standby" consumption after good reporting trips. I'm 4 days away from 1st year anniversary of ownership with 15133 miles. The odometer reported driving efficiency for the miles are 262 Wh/mile (which maybe too "rosy" ). My car received 4632 kWh charge while reported driving by the car is 3961 kWh. So my used almost 17% more on non-driving events. I do not use most of these parking/safety features thus I'm confident most these "consumption" were actually driving related in reality, unless I have a "psycho" battery for my car. This is my major disappointment about the Tesla (honest true efficiency & real range reporting). The car did provide more realistic trip efficiency reporting for longer trip driving but the true efficiency also resulted much less real world range (=<230 miles for a one-stop almost all interstate travel @ prevailing 70-75 m/h speed - driver only, empty cargo, no traffic, 50F over-cast weather, and w/preconditioned cars @ 100% SOC).