Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU - Guide of tools?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have plans to start changing eMMc on Tesla model S.

What tools / programs do I need to do this job?

- What tool for reading eMMc?
- What tool for writing eMMc?
- What tool for desolder/solder new eMMc?

I can't figure out if I need to download software to my computer to read and write new eMMc.

Any guide on this?

I’ll start by saying that I am not a compilers programmer and those are the types of questions that I would likely ask if I tried to tackle this job. And that is why I sent my board off to TonyT to get repaired. This is definitely not a beginner’s job. If you are a computer programmer, best of luck to ya! Taking the MCU out and taking it apart was enough for me

Reactions: quickstrike12
Hi, this thread has info how to do it. Rooter has posted some good guides also, linked in the thread.

Preventive eMMC replacement on MCU1

Be careful, the chip is likely worn and easy to loose the data with heat. Lost of the certificates will require a $2300 Tesla SC visit to buy a new MCU with the certs. Also be careful de-solder the fingernail sized emmc with tiny contacts. I know people who have destroyed many chips and boards "trying."

We offer the service at a very reasonable price if you decide you want some help with it. Actually where you are @LuckyLuke provides great service!

Best of luck!