Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU shut off every morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Handy tip. Tesla computer storage is finite. A good way to make yours more efficient is to occasionally delete all the stored trips, supercharger visits, Navigation routings etc. Can remove them, one by one by swiping to the side.
This will free up valuable memory and perhaps even make things work quicker.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
If Tesla replace a dead MCU1 with another MCU1, it will likely be a refurbished used one, with the same small consumer grade eMMC chip. Tesla replaced my MCU1 last August (under warranty) and the replacement is already showing early signs of dying. I reckon a third party eMMC replacement is a better choice (the contents of the dying commercial grade eMMC chip are copied and the chip is replaced with a larger industrial grade eMMC chip, with the contents copied from the old one).

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Akikiki
Update: Service Center is open again, and they texted me that I could bring it in early. So I took it in for service yesterday with a completely dead MCU. A couple of hours later I looked at the app and noticed it could communicate with my car again. I thought "wow, they already swapped out the MCU and loaded the relevant data on to it". Then I got the invoice. Expecting to see over $1500, it instead was for only $107.25!! Here's the description:

"Concern: Customer states touchscreen: MCU is shut off every morning when I get in the car. Has to be rebooted to turn back on.

Was able to recover Media Control Unit with offline update. Performed second update via over the air. Both firmware updates completed and touch screen is operating as designed at this time."

So I paid $107.25 in diagnosis and update labor for a firmware update that seems to have fixed the problem. I'm a bit stunned to say the least.

Last edited:
@GoBlue88, any update on your MCU fix? My car is experiencing the same symptoms. I'm curious if your firmware update has solved the issue now 3 months later.

If so, I wonder why they couldn't update the firmware remotely or via a Ranger?

Thanks...
It barfed again 2 months later. I notified the service center again, and they said they could do the offline update again, but it would eventually need an MCU swapout for $1500. Then they said there were no MCUs in stock and there was no ETA for when they would arrive.

SO...I went to Tony at EV-Fixme at the end of May and he swapped out my eMMC for an upgraded version with 4x more memory than the stock Tesla one and was able to recover my certs, for around half the price of an MCU swapout at the service center, which would still have the same eMMC issue. Been working like a charm ever since - in fact with the upgraded eMMC, my screen is snappier and more responsive.

See this post for more details (along with pretty much that entire thread). I see you are in State College so not exactly in driving distance from Tony like I am, however he can do it via mail. Watch the videos at the top of the thread and very carefully read the entire first post in that thread to see how to take the eMMC out and fully understand the issue. It may seem intimidating, but after watching him do it to my car, I would definitely extract it myself next time. Fortunately this new eMMC should last at least 14 years. :D

Last edited: