Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU shut off every morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For several days in a row I've gotten into my (2014) Model S in my garage in the morning and the center screen is shut off. The only way to get it back on is to do a reboot by pressing the 2 scroll wheels. This also appears to only be the case when it is has charged (NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage), as when I had it parked at the airport for a 3-day trip without it being plugged in it was fine, and it is fine when I get into it after work for the drive home (I don't plug in at work). Charging at home doesn't start until midnight, and it seems to be fine when I plug it in and for the several hours I'm still awake after, so I suspect it shuts down sometime after the charge for some reason (it seems to charge just fine). I'm thinking of testing it at a local Supercharger to see if I get the same result.

Anybody seen this before or have any thoughts as to the issue? I couldn't find it in a quick search of these forums.

I hate auto correct, emmc

tldr, a chip in your mcu that reads/writes a bunch of data and there is a limit, once it gets near this limit, your mcu starts crapping out

at this point you have 3 options
1. replace the chip ~$500 aftermarket
2. get a new mcu1 ~$1250 from tesla
3. upgrade to mcu2 (which doesnt have this issue) ~$2500 from tesla

• Informative
Reactions: Krash
I've noticed this behavior since I started using the TezLab app. Car is a 2015 Model S that I bought certified pre-owned from Tesla. Wondering if I should be worried that the car is about to die, because YIKES.

Ranger coming to run a diagnostic on Thursday.

I've also been able to narrow the behavior: When I get into the car in the morning the screen is blank but the vehicle can be immediately put into drive and I can back out of my garage. I try to reset the screen but nothing happens. However if I stop and put the car in park and then try to start it again, I get the "please wait while systems power up" popup on the instrument cluster and it is about 30 seconds before I can put it in drive. Then a few minutes later the center screen reboots successfully on pressing the scroll wheels.

3. upgrade to mcu2 (which doesnt have this issue) ~$2500 from tesla
Upgrade to MCU2 kills your AM/FM/XM. The MCU1 tuner is not compatible with MCU2, and Tesla doesn't change it, since it is buried in the dash and it takes a couple of hours of labor to replace it.

Also, MCU2 is technically still subject to flash failure. They just use a bigger part which will last longer, but not forever.

I guess. Does that part number look like an MCU2? Or is the price the giveaway?

the mcu1 quotes said refurbished, and yes the price was 2200 6 months ago, then 1800 3-4 months ago, and lately, in most areas, has reduced to 1300. And we do know the MCU2 is 2500, so looks like you are going to the front of the line.

Or if I am wrong and that is a new mcu1 I would refuse it!

the mcu1 quotes said refurbished, and yes the price was 2200 6 months ago, then 1800 3-4 months ago, and lately, in most areas, has reduced to 1300. And we do know the MCU2 is 2500, so looks like you are going to the front of the line.

Or if I am wrong and that is a new mcu1 I would refuse it!
Weird. Guess I’ll confirm when I bring it in. I’m already on my 2nd MCU1, since they had to replace the original one under warranty when I started getting the bubbling issue around the perimeter.

I guess this is an upgrade to MCU2. Before tax and labor the quote is $2500. Part number says "MCU NA PREMIUM - Pre audio GPS new maps (1004777-00-J)".

Here is a quote for a new MCU1 from some time ago, it also says PREMIUM so now I am not so sure...

Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 6.23.14 PM.png

Weird. Guess I’ll confirm when I bring it in. I’m already on my 2nd MCU1, since they had to replace the original one under warranty when I started getting the bubbling issue around the perimeter.

I stand corrected: just googled that number and it looks like it is an MCU1; it found that part number to a MCU1 at Jason's business; I would not pay that for a MCU1!

1004777-00-J | Tesla OEM Parts | Products | HSR Motors

For several days in a row I've gotten into my (2014) Model S in my garage in the morning and the center screen is shut off. The only way to get it back on is to do a reboot by pressing the 2 scroll wheels. This also appears to only be the case when it is has charged (NEMA 14-50 plug in my garage), as when I had it parked at the airport for a 3-day trip without it being plugged in it was fine, and it is fine when I get into it after work for the drive home (I don't plug in at work). Charging at home doesn't start until midnight, and it seems to be fine when I plug it in and for the several hours I'm still awake after, so I suspect it shuts down sometime after the charge for some reason (it seems to charge just fine). I'm thinking of testing it at a local Supercharger to see if I get the same result.

Anybody seen this before or have any thoughts as to the issue? I couldn't find it in a quick search of these forums.
Probably has COVID 19, in <20 days it will die. Trump just waived co-pays, so i would submit the $2500 co-pay for reimbursement. ;)

Reactions: Iluvpcs