Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 Died at SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it finally happened, and it could not have happened at a better time.

I have been getting some random glitches, nothing terrible, just abnormal. Like the kids fired up romance mode and the screen froze. Or the dash screen would do a full restart when I tried to start it after a few hours of doing nothing. Or the one time it decided that after being out of the car for 5 minutes it would not allow me to move out of Park until I did a reboot.

I had the car in the SC for new drive shafts under warranty and went to pick it up around 4pm the same day.

After waiting about 15 minutes longer that I was advised the very nice service staff member advised: "Sorry, we have a bit of an issue. When the 12v battery was reconnected after the work was completed the MCU refused to restart."

Even though it means another couple of days in the SC at least I will have a problem that could have left me stranded fixed, and under warranty. The SC paid for my Uber trip home and have been absolutely delightful.

This has done absolutely nothing to my total love for this car. Without doubt the best car I have ever owned and the most enjoyable daily driver I have ever experienced.

Well it finally happened, and it could not have happened at a better time.

I have been getting some random glitches, nothing terrible, just abnormal. Like the kids fired up romance mode and the screen froze. Or the dash screen would do a full restart when I tried to start it after a few hours of doing nothing. Or the one time it decided that after being out of the car for 5 minutes it would not allow me to move out of Park until I did a reboot.

I had the car in the SC for new drive shafts under warranty and went to pick it up around 4pm the same day.

After waiting about 15 minutes longer that I was advised the very nice service staff member advised: "Sorry, we have a bit of an issue. When the 12v battery was reconnected after the work was completed the MCU refused to restart."

Even though it means another couple of days in the SC at least I will have a problem that could have left me stranded fixed, and under warranty. The SC paid for my Uber trip home and have been absolutely delightful.

This has done absolutely nothing to my total love for this car. Without doubt the best car I have ever owned and the most enjoyable daily driver I have ever experienced.

Which warranty paid for it? CPO? ESA?

It’s likely they’re going to try the infamous “double firmware deploy” where they try a reinstall twice and get the eMMC to show any signs of life. If they are successful with that (they generally tell you), please know that your MCU is not long for this world and will die soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Now look at the polite tone of the OP. Just love the civilized nature of Europeans and some {cough} Aussies.

PS - Ross, they're just going to put in the same old thing. It'll go {eh, North?} in a couple years, even though you're in upside-down world.

Inevitably you should have an industrial-grade eMMC, at least when you go out of warranty.