Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 or 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU1 can also have 4G/LTE so just it having LTE isn't an indication of what MCU version it has. To be safe, I would assume it has MCU1 since that's what came in the car at that time unless you see proof that it was upgraded at some point to MCU2.
I will have the car Wednesday. I believe if it is INTEL ATOM then it is MUC2. I just remember seeing 4G that was all I saw

Upvote 0
I will have the car Wednesday. I believe if it is INTEL ATOM then it is MUC2. I just remember seeing 4G that was all I saw
If it says Atom CPU then it's an MCU2 because the MCU1 had a Tegra CPU. That's the most definitive and easiest way to distinguish MCU1 from MCU2.
The car was delivered in March 2014. Cars do not have 4G LTE until June 2015
There existed for quite some time an upgrade path for the mobile radio from 3G to 4G/LTE long before the upgrade path for MCU2 ever existed. As a result, it's not uncommon to see cars with MCU1 that have 4G/LTE. I have two in my garage right now in fact.

Upvote 0
I upgraded my 2016 75D to MCU2. Here's a screenshot

PXL_20230716_221949675.jpg

• Love
Reactions: NEWUSED2014
Upvote 0
If it says Atom CPU then it's an MCU2 because the MCU1 had a Tegra CPU. That's the most definitive and easiest way to distinguish MCU1 from MCU2.

There existed for quite some time an upgrade path for the mobile radio from 3G to 4G/LTE long before the upgrade path for MCU2 ever existed. As a result, it's not uncommon to see cars with MCU1 that have 4G/LTE. I have two in my garage right now in fact.
That is true. ! One thing is for sure this is not the original MCU1. MCU2 did not come out until 2018. So I guess I have to wait until Wednesday to find out. next step is to see if I can replace the 2 front seat with Mercedes or BMW seats :).

Upvote 0
That is true. ! One thing is for sure this is not the original MCU1. MCU2 did not come out until 2018. So I guess I have to wait until Wednesday to find out. next step is to see if I can replace the 2 front seat with Mercedes or BMW seats :).
Both MCU1 cars we have are not only on the original MCU1 but still the original eMMC as well. They run kinda of slow compared to the new 2023 Model Y we just got but, doesn't really impact my use of them. Certainly not enough to justify another couple of grand anyway. Not for me.

My knee-jerk reaction to changing out the seats is that either 1) it's not going to be worth it 2) you'll sacrifice most all of the functionality of the existing seats or 3) most likely both. You can do anything with enough money but I really don't think this is one of those endeavors that's going to be worth your time when you consider the delta between what that car is worth and what a car w/seats you like better would cost.

I think that the seats in the 2014 aren't awful. The Next Gen seats are probably my favorite in the older versions of the seats for lengthy drives. The newer Premium seats found in the 2017+ to the newest Palladium cars is my least favorite for longer road trips. They're fine for around town but if you're above average size at all the Premium seats are just awful for longer drives. My trip from Phoenix back to Northern Colorado in my 2017 w/Premium seats (in Ultra White) was miserable after only a couple of hours in.

I haven't taken a lengthy road trip in the newest Palladium (2021+) Model S but my limited experience with them is that they appear to be the best seats yet. Of course, that comes with a rather extensive price tag too though. For my local drives, the Premium seats are just fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Question to people who upgraded to MCU 2.0 on their AP2 vehicles. Does your firmware get updated as well? Do you still get stuck on 2022.8.10.x? If not, does AP perform better on newer firmware? The reason I asked is that on 2022.8.10.x, Autopilot seems unusable in stop & go traffic, means it brake abruptly which would make people rear end into you.

Upvote 0
Both MCU1 cars we have are not only on the original MCU1 but still the original eMMC as well. They run kinda of slow compared to the new 2023 Model Y we just got but, doesn't really impact my use of them. Certainly not enough to justify another couple of grand anyway. Not for me.

My knee-jerk reaction to changing out the seats is that either 1) it's not going to be worth it 2) you'll sacrifice most all of the functionality of the existing seats or 3) most likely both. You can do anything with enough money but I really don't think this is one of those endeavors that's going to be worth your time when you consider the delta between what that car is worth and what a car w/seats you like better would cost.

I think that the seats in the 2014 aren't awful. The Next Gen seats are probably my favorite in the older versions of the seats for lengthy drives. The newer Premium seats found in the 2017+ to the newest Palladium cars is my least favorite for longer road trips. They're fine for around town but if you're above average size at all the Premium seats are just awful for longer drives. My trip from Phoenix back to Northern Colorado in my 2017 w/Premium seats (in Ultra White) was miserable after only a couple of hours in.

I haven't taken a lengthy road trip in the newest Palladium (2021+) Model S but my limited experience with them is that they appear to be the best seats yet. Of course, that comes with a rather extensive price tag too though. For my local drives, the Premium seats are just fine.
I have owned and leased over 65 cars. As a gadgets guy who bought every imaginable gadget out there, I thought I would be one of the first to buy a Tesla. It is an AMAZING engineering feast but a car is not for getting from A_B. Otherwise, everyone is driving a YUGO :). There are no features in Tesla seats. Lumbar support that hugs you while cornering, etc. My Navigator I believe has 53 adjustments for the seats. I figure my 2014 will be my HOMEDEPOT car. The trunk and FRUNK are big enough. It is cheap enough and free SC so i bought 1 cheap

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Question to people who upgraded to MCU 2.0 on their AP2 vehicles. Does your firmware get updated as well?

Yes, you will get access to modern firmware releases. You will also get upgraded to the AP3 full self driving computer as part of the upgrade (even if you didn’t buy the FSD software package).

As to whether or not that “fixes” or improves autopilot in any meaningful way, that’s harder to say.

Reactions: kg7jo-
Upvote 0
I have owned and leased over 65 cars. As a gadgets guy who bought every imaginable gadget out there, I thought I would be one of the first to buy a Tesla. It is an AMAZING engineering feast but a car is not for getting from A_B. Otherwise, everyone is driving a YUGO :). There are no features in Tesla seats. Lumbar support that hugs you while cornering, etc. My Navigator I believe has 53 adjustments for the seats. I figure my 2014 will be my HOMEDEPOT car. The trunk and FRUNK are big enough. It is cheap enough and free SC so i bought 1 cheap
When I say the features won't work, I'm referring to basic functionality like adjustment, heat, airbags, etc. It's not a simple plug & play swap you're talking about even if you find seats that physically fit the location and anchor points which isn't a given either.

I believe a few have managed to swap out different Tesla seat versions with mixed success and that's going to seats that were literally designed to replace the previous seat. My point is that it's not as easy as turning a few bolts and bam! Instant upgrades for your seating.

We're getting pretty far off topic now but I would encourage you to leverage the forum search function as this topic as well as the seat topic have both been discussed extensively with lots of first hand accounts and details.

Reactions: NEWUSED2014
Upvote 0
OSTRICHSAK - How about a 2017 P100 with AP? Someone told me this is ready for FSD which is about $16000 option now
"Ready for FSD" means it doesn't have FSD. The car has the hardware (cameras, etc.) for FSD - so it is ready for it, but you have to purchase the option, which in the USA is $15000 or you can rent it by the month for $199/mo. Your 2017 car may also need the AP3 computer to use FSD, but if you purchase FSD, they will install it for free.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Upvote 0