Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited LTE Connectivity? 2015 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
I wanted to see if anyone had connectivity issues in their 2015 model S? It is the MCU1 , but has been replaced recently in the past by the other owner. Is this a MCU issue, or something else?

I feel like I only receive LTE connection 50% of the time depending where I am.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6766.jpeg
    IMG_6766.jpeg
    530.9 KB · Views: 36
No issues here on my 2015 Model S 85D. It's not really possible to diagnose this based on what information you've given, but I'd guess maybe there's a loose antenna connection? Or maybe there's just bad reception where you are? Did this ever work reliably for you?

Bruce.

No issues here on my 2015 Model S 85D. It's not really possible to diagnose this based on what information you've given, but I'd guess maybe there's a loose antenna connection? Or maybe there's just bad reception where you are? Did this ever work reliably for you?

Bruce.
Hey Bruce. Always been the same since I got it 6 months ago. Connection is very limited and only have LTE about half of the time, maybe less

Hey Bruce. Always been the same since I got it 6 months ago. Connection is very limited and only have LTE about half of the time, maybe less

Hrmmmm. That feels wrong to me, but is it possible you're in an area with cr*ppy cell coverage? I assume your cellphone works, if you carry one with you in the car? In the US, Tesla uses (indirectly) the AT&T network.

Have you tried a reboot of the MCU? (Push and hold the two scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel until the Tesla logo appears on the large MCU/CID screen.)

This might be worth a service appointment for someone to actually look into this.

Bruce.

Hrmmmm. That feels wrong to me, but is it possible you're in an area with cr*ppy cell coverage? I assume your cellphone works, if you carry one with you in the car? In the US, Tesla uses (indirectly) the AT&T network.

Have you tried a reboot of the MCU? (Push and hold the two scroll wheel buttons on the steering wheel until the Tesla logo appears on the large MCU/CID screen.)

This might be worth a service appointment for someone to actually look into this.

Bruce.
I don’t think it’s the area because I do travel a lot and it is a consistent problem. I have also rebooted the screen before. I was kind of assuming most 2015 and older owners had this issue due to age. Guess not

I don’t think it’s the area because I do travel a lot and it is a consistent problem. I have also rebooted the screen before. I was kind of assuming most 2015 and older owners had this issue due to age. Guess not

Yeah, I've never had any issues (LTE upgrade done around 2016, complete MCU1 replacement in 2019) and I have not heard of this being a widespread problem.

Good luck, hopefully it's an easy fix!

Bruce.