Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - do u need to request AP3 at same time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But you don’t have HW3? No HW3 = No FSD right?

you have the MCU and AP3 to take full advantage of FSD features but I believe you still need HW3 to actually FSD.

What does your features list under your tesla screen show?

AP 3.0 is HW3. My MCU 1 -> 2 upgrade also came with AP 3.0 for free. You know you have AP 3.0 (HW 3) when you can turn on FSD visualization.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
AP 3.0 is HW3. My MCU 1 -> 2 upgrade also came with AP 3.0 for free. You know you have AP 3.0 (HW 3) when you can turn on FSD visualization.

Thank you. When WinterX said that he was now at HW2.0/AP3.0/MCU2 it didn't make any sense to me. HW3 and MCU are two totally different components in different locations, so why they would give you a free HW3 only makes sense if they plan to market a subscription service to FSD. My MX has HW3/MCU1. So I have all the goodies for the visualizations, but MCU can only give me stop light and sign because of the weak processing power.

Thank you. When WinterX said that he was now at HW2.0/AP3.0/MCU2 it didn't make any sense to me. HW3 and MCU are two totally different components in different locations, so why they would give you a free HW3 only makes sense if they plan to market a subscription service to FSD. My MX has HW3/MCU1. So I have all the goodies for the visualizations, but MCU can only give me stop light and sign because of the weak processing power.

Yes, that's correct. I was referring to the HW2.0 Cameras (these were not changed), I do have full sentry and viewer now (new MCU), but as many have noted in other threads, the colors are a bit bland due to the different cameras from AP2/AP2.5.

Since I only have EAP, I don't have the stop sign/light options, but I do have the FSD Visualization enabled.

To make this even more confusing, my upgrade took place during Thanksgiving, so they were courteous enough to provide a loaner. This loaner was '18 Model X 75d, with an MCU 1 (Tegra) and FSD, and only had EAP activated (NO FSD). BUT, I was able to enable stop sign / light control. Anyone have any idea how/why? Again it has the FSD computer, but it was only enabled with EAP. ??! It had stop sign / light control, but did NOT show cones and did not have FSD enabled.

We had the car for 5 days, and since the FSD option of Stop Sign and Light control were enabled, it gave us a chance to experience what "FSD" is currently over EAP. And despite now having the hardware for FSD, and the $2k price drop yesterday, I still can't convince myself. If anything I found the Stop Light thing to be a bit annoying, as you have to advance it through ANY lights, and it struggled with blinking alert/caution lights seen frequently out on the FM roads of TX.

(sorry for the confusion / Mislabel DSolie)

Reactions: DSolie