Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 require additional programming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 (face-lift version) and wanting to upgrade to MCU2. i've found a local seller that includes the instrument display too, and both for $950.

I was going to upgrade through Tesla but they only sell MCU2 with HW3...both for $2500

I'm not concerned about having HW3 since FSD not really something I am interested in.

That said. Is the MCU2+instrument display a plug and play upgrade or would it need additional programming?
Tesla wouldn't answer me...instead they told me if I upgrade my own MCU2, IF it needs programming, they won't touch it.

If its a basic plug and play upgrade though, I'll gladly do it on my own.

Thanks!

Reactions: JAlbury825
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2017 (face-lift version) and wanting to upgrade to MCU2. i've found a local seller that includes the instrument display too, and both for $950.

I was going to upgrade through Tesla but they only sell MCU2 with HW3...both for $2500

I'm not concerned about having HW3 since FSD not really something I am interested in.

That said. Is the MCU2+instrument display a plug and play upgrade or would it need additional programming?
Tesla wouldn't answer me...instead they told me if I upgrade my own MCU2, IF it needs programming, they won't touch it.

If its a basic plug and play upgrade though, I'll gladly do it on my own.

Thanks!
Well, I just found this....telling me I can't do this on my own...

Bummer....

My MCU1 is rooted but I don't own the keys...the dealer I purchased it from does though.

Greetings, fellow Teslan!

There's quite a bit of file/data transfer from your original MCU1 to the new MCU2 and there are MCU2 firmware updates they do too. They also have to change the connectors for the wires. It took the technician about 3 hours to do my upgrade, so I got to watch them do it through the window while I waited.

So, I HIGHLY recommend having Tesla do it for you. Mine cost $1800 (probably because I have a 2014, pre-autopilot). But it's worth not having the headache later down the road. Plus, you'll continue to get software updates as they roll out. It took me a year to save up the money to do it, but have Tesla do it, if only for peace of mind.

Last edited: