Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Line Level audio outs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell, there is only one part# for MCU2 regardless if it is replacing MCU1 with or without UHFS.

MCU1 drives(drove?) had an amp that drove the speakers directly for base audio, where MCU1 with UHFS was a different part number and drive the additional speakers with an external amp.

Does that mean MCU2 has line-level outputs(for driving the external amp?) Anyone know of a pinout?

no line level outputs on any tesla system. only crippled (heavy 60-80 hz rolloff on model S) speaker level output.

MCU1 w/Premium(UHFS) option has line level outs:
upload_2020-8-22_9-2-16.png

MCU1 wo/Premium(UHFS) options does not - just speaker level outs
upload_2020-8-22_9-3-44.png

So I'm curious if MCU2 has both?

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-22_9-3-19.png
    upload_2020-8-22_9-3-19.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 142
IMO it sounds more or less the same. I do have LH speakers all around so it sounds pretty good.

The rears have almost no volume below 5.

I have an NVX amp/sub ready to go in so that will probably be the last of my audio upgrades.

Upgrading to UHFS shouldn't be too bad, but those small speaker locations in the dash and rear liftgate are a PITA to get to.

If I feel like more sound is needed after the NVX upgrade ill probably add a 4 channel amp to power the rear door speakers and add speakers to the liftgate.

I guess the next question would be how does the audio sound in a factory built MCU1 with standard audio after the MCU2 upgrade? Then the next question is, how easy would a UHFS retrofit be for these older Model S cars.

It's a small, but noticeable step backwards. I have an older S with all the wires where they should be - "Upgrading" to UHFS used to mean a new MCU, but now, it _should_ be as easy as sliding the external amp into the placeholder, and installing the remaining speakers.
Oh, and the hard part, twisting Tesla's arm to flip the bit in the MCU config to "enable" the sound :)

Upgrading to UHFS shouldn't be too bad, but those small speaker locations in the dash and rear liftgate are a PITA to get to.

Actually, adding those speakers wasn't so bad, replacing the front door speakers were a major hassle as they needed a different bracket as the speakers are larger.

I will say that moving from the standard front door speakers to the front larger "stock" UHFS speakers made a huge difference towards the positive.

I think that I figured out why the Tesla 17" LEAKER SCREENS ARE LEAKING THE MYSTERY FLUIDS OF DEATH. My P90D is puking fluid out of both the big center screen and the speedo screen! The amp that some genius attached to the back of the big screen is heating up the liquid (see the large heat sinks on the back of them amp?). The heated fluid rises to the top between the 3 dashboard A/C vents and internal ducting and most likely causes the glue to delaminate and leak the fluid all over the place. Problem solved. Now all I've got to do is get Tesla to pay for it

• Funny
Reactions: Hank42
MCU1 w/Premium(UHFS) option has line level outs:
View attachment 579323
MCU1 wo/Premium(UHFS) options does not - just speaker level outs
View attachment 579325

So I'm curious if MCU2 has both?

Just to be clear, the connector x427 of the diagram above (for cars with premium audio with MCU1), you can use the 5 channels output which represents all the Front and Rear speakers including subwoofer? (e.g., channel 1 & 2 are for the front; channel 2 & 3 is for rears and channel 5 is the subwoofer)

However, in another thread, a bigger diagram seem to indicate that it's not the case:

Below shows x427 going into the 2nd amp (located driver side). I still count only 7 speakers (per diagram below) be driven by MCU amp and 2nd amp. I thought premium sound has ~11 speakers.
1657566307732.png

To confuse the matter even further with Premium audio is "swapping" outputs from the base model.
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X – TeslaTap
1657566680256.png

Combining what I'm understanding from Teslatap and MCU wiring diagram (I feel like there is one more speaker output missing from the wiring diagram above, could be wrong), I arrive at this new diagram below:
1657568343584.png

Bottom line:
I'm trying to figure out how many high level inputs/channels that I need to buy for a DSP or Xover/LOC to connect to an aftermarket amp for an active 3 way front system. JL audio FIX 86, Audison Bit Ten, Helix mini DSP all accepts ~6 inputs (speaker level)

I rather not buy a 10+ channel DSP

Thank you for any insight on how or which signals from which amp (MCU or 2nd amp) I can use to run front active 3 way setup ONLY (leaving other channels alone except rear sub).

Reactions: Hank42