Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 sleeps too much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a new car with the MCU2. It appears you can't adjust the connection setting on it. It seems like it is in energy savings mode all the times. A few times I got to my vehicle, the car is asleep or the car refuses to turn on for 5-15 sec. It effected both the door and the actual drive itself. Do you guys have any tricks or tips around it? I guess I should log into the car before I get there?

They do into a deep sleep after an hour and can take 30 seconds or so to "wake" up.

No sure what you mean about effecting the door. I never have any issues getting into the car. But sometime get the "wait waking up" warning for 15 seconds or more.

There is some discussion on a related subject, and I have posted a couple of my own experiences, in this thread. But to add to your specific comment @mattack4000, the slow to wake problem is perhaps the one aspect, or certainly the most significant aspect, of the Tesla that comes as an unwelcome surprise. I take a ferry daily for work, which often involves sitting inside the MX in the line-up and again on the ferry itself. If I manually turn it off, or it turns itself off (after about 30 minutes in my experience) it regularly takes 5-15 seconds to wake up, and sometimes longer. As a result I need to make sure I wake the MX up before the cars in line in front of me start moving.

So, in my short experience owning the MX, here are my tips so far:

1. Yes, log into the car before you get there. This has worked for me in advance of leaving the house or returning to a parking garage, etc., where I have also noticed the MX can be slow to wake.

2. If you’re already in the car, pressing the brake pedal seems to start the wake-up process, but for me often the screens remains blank/black and I have the impression that it takes longer than option 3, below. The only immediate feedback is that the pedal itself seems to react, and sometimes the interior overhead light turns on.

3. Opening the driver’s door (from the inside or outside) has, for me, immediately woken the car up in terms of the screens coming to life. I still get the message that the car is powering up and that I have to wait, but at least I feel better that something is happening. I haven’t done a real test but have the impression that opening the driver’s door causes it to wake up faster and be ready to drive faster.

Like @jboy210 I also have not experienced any effect on my ability to open any of the doors (from either inside or outside).

Also, don’t get me wrong. All this is a minor pain that is wildly overwhelmed by the sheer joy of owning and driving this incredible vehicle :)

Reactions: jboy210