Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade with radio - question on FM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, with the price reduction announced tempted to just upgrade and be done. While regretting losing AM radio, at least there is an option to get FM and Sirius XM (US market).

My question, for someone that has done the radio module... Does the new radio module support HD FM like the original one? The reason I ask, since I'm losing AM, the radio station that I listen to in NY has a HD FM subchannel. I'd like to be able to listen to that. If the new one doesn't have HD radio, then I'm pretty much screwed. The station in NY does not stream via TuneIn.

Alternatively, can you stream off the web browser with the MCU2 and get audio? The stations I do listen to are on radio.com

As you're a Boeing pilot, and I'm from Seattle, I'd be delighted to tell you the answer to this when I get my car back with the tuner upgrade. Unfortunately, they were doing both the MCU2 and Tuner upgrade and they've been struggling to get the firmware right so they've had it since Tuesday. Fortunately, the price change came in while the car was at service and they're going to honor the new price. One bit of info for you though: the loaner car I have does have MCU2 and it does support the HD subchannels, so it's likely that the tuner upgrade will. I will let you know for sure when I get it back, hopefully Monday.

As you're a Boeing pilot, and I'm from Seattle, I'd be delighted to tell you the answer to this when I get my car back with the tuner upgrade. Unfortunately, they were doing both the MCU2 and Tuner upgrade and they've been struggling to get the firmware right so they've had it since Tuesday. Fortunately, the price change came in while the car was at service and they're going to honor the new price. One bit of info for you though: the loaner car I have does have MCU2 and it does support the HD subchannels, so it's likely that the tuner upgrade will. I will let you know for sure when I get it back, hopefully Monday.
Thanks! Unfortunately I’ve been flying a plane from Toulouse, but the 767 will always be in my heart

Reactions: pilotSteve
Just had the MCU2/radio upgrade done on our 2017 S last week (days before the price drop...).

If the vehicle has an XM antenna:
  • If you didn't have an XM subscription, you should be able to activate the radio with a free 90 day preview subscription
  • If you had an XM subscription, call XM to replace the radio on your subscription, and they should add the free 90 days onto your subscription
If you had AM radio favorites prior to the upgrade, those will be erased.

If you had FM/XM radio favorites, they should still be present after the upgrade (at least that was what happened for us).

If you had HD radio favorites, the HD sub-station is lost. It also appears that the new media player no longer displays the available HD sub-stations, but you can find them by going to the tab that lists all of the available FM station, which also shows the HD sub-stations. I was able to quickly re-select all of our HD favorites - and then deleted the main FM stations, that we didn't want as favorites.

I haven't tried playing audio through the browser while driving - though wouldn't be surprised to see that it doesn't work.

It appears Tesla is (finally) going to be adding more streaming apps. For audio book listeners - looks like Audible will be coming. Since TuneIn doesn't provide many AM stations, adding Radio.com would also be helpful...

I'm pretty sure you've already ascertained this, but to follow through: yep, you can see the digital FM substations on the MCU2 upgrade. Sorry this took so long. They kept my car for a week!
NewMCU.jpg

The HD stations are listed along with the FM stations on the STATIONS tab.

However, the HD sub-stations also used to be listed when you tuned into an FM station (or any of the HD sub-stations) - and that appears to be missing - to change to a different HD sub-station, now requires going back to the STATIONS tab and going through the list of all available stations.

And, if you have any HD stations in your favorites before the upgrade, those are converted to the primary FM station - losing the HD sub-station favorite.

But, these are relatively minor issues - since we listen almost always using favorites - and once we've selected a new channel, it's added to favorites.