Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement FM tuner and HD radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done without an FM tuner for a couple of years following my MCU2 upgrade that disabled access to my original tuner. I'll now throw for the replacement IF it has HD-radio capability, but I want to make sure it does before scheduling the service. If not, I'll continue to rely on Tune-In. I can't get the answer via messaging thru the app, but I'm hoping a forum member knows if the new tuner has HD.

I was looking into this and made a Service appointment via the app. I was expecting $500 but the estimate is $1095. Model X Tuner UPGRADE KIT - NA PREMIUM (7281912-01-A) for $500 and RADIO TUNER UPGRD FOR INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE (1624317-00-A) for $500 with $0 for labor and Tax $95. Not sure I want radio that bad....
Something seems wrong here. According to this Tesla page: https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment#features

The cost is $500 including labor. See under FAQs, expand the question: "My vehicle has already undergone the Upgrade....".

Here is my writeup on the FM upgrade path, and various options to consider: MCU2 Upgrade and AM/FM/XM Radio Issues – TeslaTap

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Something seems wrong here. According to this Tesla page: https://www.tesla.com/support/infotainment#features

The cost is $500 including labor. See under FAQs, expand the question: "My vehicle has already undergone the Upgrade....".

Here is my writeup on the FM upgrade path, and various options to consider: MCU2 Upgrade and AM/FM/XM Radio Issues – TeslaTap
When that was posted I didn't think that much about it, but I wonder if the SC was unsure which kit was needed for the vehicle and just added 2 separate upgrade kits to the estimate so they could have both ordered & in stock for the installation. They will do that, and then just remove the unneeded items afterward, but usually don't make that very clear to the customer unless they get pushback.

That is probably what happened as they have 2 different tuner models, FM+XM and just FM. They then have different SKUs for each model vehicle due to the different mounting brackets needed for each.

Last edited:
Reactions: KalJoMoS and uxixu
Upvote 0
When that was posted I didn't think that much about it, but I wonder if the SC was unsure which kit was needed for the vehicle and just added 2 separate upgrade kits to the estimate so they could have both ordered & in stock for the installation. They will do that, and then just remove the unneeded items afterward, but usually don't make that very clear to the customer unless they get pushback.
I think your guess is right. Many people have paid only $500.

Upvote 0
I didn't have time so pushed it off a couple weeks. Tune-IN is fine for music but misses traffic, and the oddball talk stuff they do, which I don't really care about but my better half was expecting. I have been using music from the USB (which has other issues like not automatically picking up when I get back to the car without the voice command to "switch USB" then it begins playing again).

Upvote 0