Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement FM tuner and HD radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done without an FM tuner for a couple of years following my MCU2 upgrade that disabled access to my original tuner. I'll now throw for the replacement IF it has HD-radio capability, but I want to make sure it does before scheduling the service. If not, I'll continue to rely on Tune-In. I can't get the answer via messaging thru the app, but I'm hoping a forum member knows if the new tuner has HD.

That clarifies it. Thanks very much!
(There's a now-defunct 2020-21 thread on the replacement radios that shows that there was some confusion back then because of different upgraders getting different part numbers. I do hope that you're correct about the replacement tuner being the same tuner they use on currently manufactured MCU-2 cars, but if it is, why wouldn't Tesla have offered the new tuner as an option right from the beginning of the MCU-Upgrade program? I just don't want to take a chance on getting a new tuner without HD capability.)

Upvote 0
That clarifies it. Thanks very much!
(There's a now-defunct 2020-21 thread on the replacement radios that shows that there was some confusion back then because of different upgraders getting different part numbers. I do hope that you're correct about the replacement tuner being the same tuner they use on currently manufactured MCU-2 cars, but if it is, why wouldn't Tesla have offered the new tuner as an option right from the beginning of the MCU-Upgrade program? I just don't want to take a chance on getting a new tuner without HD capability.)
That's a fair question. Perhaps they just wanted to reduce the cost initially (and didn't think people actually used FM/XM much), so they didn't offer it? But then they realized that people actually do use it?

Upvote 0
At first, there was no option for an FM tuner with the MCU2 upgrade, I and several others came up with the process to replace it. You replace the analog FM tuner used with MCU1 with the digital tuner (that fits in the same spot) for MCU2 and some minor wiring. Even though our solution was wired correctly, it isn't "plug-and-play" and Tesla has to enable the digital FM radio. It came down that service was not allowed to activate the FM radio unless they did the work. We know of one owner who got a Tesla tech to enable it, but most others had no such luck. Anyway, several months after we came up with how to do it, Tesla made the radio retrofit an option. Here are all the gory details: FM/XM Radio for the MCU2 Upgrade – TeslaTap

Upvote 0
Tesla does offer the upgrade for FM tuner with the MCU2 upgrade.
1673980986873.png

Cost is quoted at $500 for the NA versions.

After digging around, looks like the part numbers for the kits are:
7281912-01-A MODEL X - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA PREMIUM
7281911-00-A MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE
7281911-01-A MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - NA PREMIUM
7281911-03-A MODEL S - TUNER UPGRADE KIT - EU&AU/NZ BASE

From looking at a listing for it on eBay looks to include:
1453427-00-B - ASY, HARN, INFO 2.0 JUMPER, TUNER+E.SPKR (number was very hard to read)
1143716-00-C - RADIO, FM/HD/XM, MX (for the premium)
and a hardware kit

Tried doing the TeslaTap harness. Getting tuner ping failure errors. I either stink at wiring, or have a bad tuner. Shame it's difficult to get parts in my area (online ordering of parts please Tesla?), or I would try the prebuilt harness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Following this thread, my 2015 MS has already had the MCU1 replaced a few years back when the NVRAM went bad. During my appointment today, Tesla's "no touch" pickup resulted in being locked out of my car for half an hour because the new MCU they put in is apparently now going bad as well and dropping off the LTE network. The tech offered me what I believe is the MCU2 upgrade but wants me to pay $500 to restore the FM/XM unit. Since I frequently drive the car in the mountains where there's no coverage at all, I listen to XM all the time.

So there's basically acknowledging that they gave me another defective unit a few years ago, and offering to replace it, but I have to pay $500 to get the features I've already paid for.

Has anyone had any luck getting Tesla to waive this $500 fee for older cars that lose functionality because of the MCU1 issues?

Upvote 0
I doubt they will. If they are offering MCU2 gratis, jump at it. If you have premium connectivity for free and don't care about FM, skip the tuner. If you are handy, you might pickup the cable like I did, get the tuner online and have someone swap the config for you. The person who swapped mine did it remotely, but charged $150 to do so. TBH, getting MCU2 gratis and then paying for the tuner retrofit, even at the $500 Tesla would charge is a hell of a deal.

Reactions: vcor
Upvote 0
I doubt they will. If they are offering MCU2 gratis, jump at it. If you have premium connectivity for free and don't care about FM, skip the tuner. If you are handy, you might pickup the cable like I did, get the tuner online and have someone swap the config for you. The person who swapped mine did it remotely, but charged $150 to do so. TBH, getting MCU2 gratis and then paying for the tuner retrofit, even at the $500 Tesla would charge is a hell of a deal.
Thanks. This is good insight. I wish they would have offered the MCU2 before I was near the end of my battery warranty, when I'm considering trading it in...

Upvote 0
I was looking into this and made a Service appointment via the app. I was expecting $500 but the estimate is $1095. Model X Tuner UPGRADE KIT - NA PREMIUM (7281912-01-A) for $500 and RADIO TUNER UPGRD FOR INFOTAINMENT UPGRADE (1624317-00-A) for $500 with $0 for labor and Tax $95. Not sure I want radio that bad....

Upvote 0