Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The economics of scale hopefully help much more with development of the Gen III platform than with production cost of Model S. Coming from there, I can see how Tesla now has confidence into bringing Gen III cars to production as early as 2015.
Coming a year after the B-Class E-Cell, it will be interesting to see how these two compare and what unique features Tesla plans to make Gen III stand out.

Revealed at the Paris motor show:

Paris motor show: Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive | Autocar

image.jpg

gg,
I was confused for a moment by the round object under the rear seat in that cutaway vehicle associated with the article you linked.
A Tesla motor in back? For a front-wheel drive vehicle? Then I read the sign above "natural gas".
So, I think they are not showing the E-cell version in that picture...
(Unless perhaps the red one in back is the electric)

- - - Updated - - -

This shows the E-cell battery and drivetrain:
http://media.daimler.com/dcmedia/0-921-614307-1-1535251-1-0-0-1536674-0-0-11694-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0.html
E-Cell.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, you are right, TEG. Here's a (lame) video of the reveal (at the 7:40 mark): Press conference Mercedes - Mondial de l'Automobile 2012

Wish Mercedes mentioned "Tesla-supplied drivetrain" or something on those lines rather than treating Tesla no differently from any of the other (anonymous) parts suppliers. Toyota has been more generous to Tesla on the RAV4-EV front.

Well, it seems both Daimler and Toyota invested in Tesla to get batteries and powertrains for CARB compliance cars... (B-Class EDrive & RAV4EV)
Have we seen signs that Toyota or Daimler plan any high volume electric drive models?

Well, it seems both Daimler and Toyota invested in Tesla to get batteries and powertrains for CARB compliance cars... (B-Class EDrive & RAV4EV)
Have we seen signs that Toyota or Daimler plan any high volume electric drive models?

Toyota has outright said they will not go for BEVs (other than the California compliance cars). They are making so much money on their hybrids I guess. They don't want to steal their own customers, so to speak, is my guess. Maybe smart in the short run, but IMO they will loose in the long run... One food for thought is what if all of the big names in auto have their "undercover" BEV programs going with development, research etc. etc. going but they are toning this down until whenever they believe the market is ready/the time has come? And that they are also "on the fence" with regards to maybe fuel cells or what ever new technology that might come along?

Worst-case scenario is they get caught with their pants around their ankles when (not if IMHO) the market suddenly swings towards EVs. I believe that will happen eventually once the economics are clearly on the side of the EV. That will "merely" take some technological development and already-rising gas prices.

I guess Tesla still doesn't have to worry about any competition for aesthetics. This seems like a glorified Leaf/Prius. I would have hoped that Mercedes would have come out with something with better styling. I don't know the specifications of the car, but I think they missed the boat on looks.

Given the speculative nature of the article (lacking official details), I think the author did a good job of pondering what might be coming.

I wonder what (if any) quick charging it might offer.
Rav4EV had neither Tesla standard (supercharging), nor Toyota standard (CHAdeMO).
Could this new B-Class EV get a SAE style Combo-connector given Daimler's involvement with that effort?

They clearly don't want to sell too many units ;)... must be a "compliance" car... just like the Rav4EV.

Absolutely not! I remember Elon saying the Mercedes B class Electric Drive is going to be mass-produced (20.000 cars per year or so). I cannot find the video, but I remember it clearly. I will keep searching.