Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mesh router causing issues with software updates - what's wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having an issue downloading updates to my MYP. I have a Netgear mesh router (Orbi) that extends my wi-fi signal to the garage. Phone and tablet connects and accesses internet with blazing speed. The security is configured to use WPA/WPA2 Personal, and is of course password protected. Here's my issue: the car will not connect to the router even when supplying the correct network key. It times out after 10-15 seconds and responds with "cannot connect - check DHCP settings". The workaround is to remove security from the router and then the connection works and the updates occur.

Anyone running into something like that? It's not a big deal to just turn off security for an update but that leaves my network vulnerable for a period, so not preferred.

Are you using any of the "business" level security? I don't think those work, you need to stay at a "home" level of security I think.
I really don't have any choice on the security page. You just supply your wireless network name, network key (password) and security method (None, WPA2-personal, WPA3-personal, or WPA/WPA2-personal). Pretty typical configuration for any wireless router.

I was having that problem with the Tesla and other any new devices on the network. In my case the culprit was the lease time for the IP address was set to forever, so the router literally run out of IP addresses. I change the setting from forever to 4 days and the problem persisted, so at the end I just change the IP address altogether, example: 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1 and now the Tesla wifi connection is nice and proper.

UPDATE: The connection now works and the fix was simple. I just configured the "Guest" network option on the Orbi (with WPA2 and password) and it connected. Don't know why, but maybe less restrictions? Anyway, maybe that helps someone having the same problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus