Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin or Continental

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our P85D came equipped with staggered PilotSport PS2, great performance, a little noisy. We’re due for a new set of summer tires. Any recommendation? We’re hesitating between going again for the pricey PS2 (quoted at 560$CAD in Montreal) and the Continental ContiSportContact 5 (quoted at a significantly lower 410$CAD) or 5P (not available directly with Tesla in Montreal). Interestingly, sites like TireRack.com seem to sell both at a a much closer price.

If we understand this correctly, the ContiSportContact 5 cannot be setup staggered as they are no longer available in 265 for the rear wheels, so if we want staggered, which we would prefer for looks and handling, we need to go for the 5P which is available in 245/ and 265/35RZ21, but Tesla won’t sell it to us so we’d have to source it somewhere else. It sounds like the Continental tires incorporate a noise reduction technology that truly makes a difference, though it sounds like they may be slightly less “maximum performance” than the PS2. We like performance but noise reduction would have a bigger impact on our daily routine, and we’re tempted to give it a try.

Anyone here with staggered ContiSportContact 5P? Are there any fundamental differences between the ContiSportContact 5 and the 5P? Any other recommendation, any inaccuracy in our short analysis? Any first hand experience and thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated!! =)

^ but in my experience you will only get 50-60% of the wear of the Michelins, and the steering feel is rubbish compared to the Michelins.
I have a similar decision to make, and frustratingly will probably go Contis as the Mich are noisier and that is important in this car.

Just wish the new Conti 6P were available in Tesla sizes particularly in the Contisilent spec as these would seems to be the best balance of all.

Non staggered by choice or by necessity?
By choice. Grip on our two P85s just has never been an issue, and I wanted the ability to rotate the tires.

No way, you have one of those as well? =)

Dude, it just PAINS me. All I can say is "Driving While Asian" is not a racial remark, but a statement of fact. One my wife even admits to openly.

Here is what she did to the BRAND NEW powder-coated wheels I got her a few weeks ago:
2802.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: TaoJones
By choice. Grip on our two P85s just has never been an issue, and I wanted the ability to rotate the tires.

Dude, it just PAINS me. All I can say is "Driving While Asian" is not a racial remark, but a statement of fact. One my wife even admits to openly.

Here is what she did to the BRAND NEW powder-coated wheels I got her a few weeks ago:
View attachment 191140

Nooooooooooooooo! Painful it is, even just watching the picture. Gotta say though, I could take a similar picture of my right rear wheel... so yeah, I totally hear you!