Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 - how big of a difference is the road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tl;dr going on a 2k+ mile road trip soon (CA --> Vancouver) and my stock Continental tires are at ~4/32 tread which is good enough to last me trip. Originally I was considering taking it through summer (where tread matters less) and replace with a better tire for winter.

I'm starting to rethink my decision taking into account road noise / comfort. To those who have switched just how much BETTER is the road noise / ride comfort from stock tires to Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4? Or the Continental ExtremeContact Continental DWS06+ which also seems to be a popular decision. Is it marginal or substantially better? Can't decide if it's worth to switch now or after

I replaced ContiProContact with same OEM sized MichPilotSportA/S 4 at 30k miles. Contis were at 4/32".

New tires (thicker, softer rubber) were quieter, a bit less harsh than the OEM Contis. Handling improvement was significant, especially wet (again, new tread, deeper sipes). I'm now at 14k miles on the Michelins, and they're still quieter (I think?) than the worn Contis. Tread at 14k miles is approx. 7/32", so they're not lasting as long as I hoped. Probably 20/80 city/highway. I'm in TX, so 75-80mph on the highway.

The Michelins aren't as wide as the ContiProContact (same size, 255/45X19) so the wheel rim extends out more than with the OEM Contis. UGH!

Mine is a single data point, for sure. Hope it helps your decision.

Reactions: AlexHung
My experience is the same, I think the Michelins are a little quieter, or at least the pitch of the road noise is less offensive to me. The better ride quality is noticeable, not night and day, but a nice improvement, just takes the edge off of some of the sharp bumps. Handling and composure are much better, and grip on snow/ice is dramatically improved.

Tl;dr going on a 2k+ mile road trip soon (CA --> Vancouver) and my stock Continental tires are at ~4/32 tread which is good enough to last me trip. Originally I was considering taking it through summer (where tread matters less) and replace with a better tire for winter.

I'm starting to rethink my decision taking into account road noise / comfort. To those who have switched just how much BETTER is the road noise / ride comfort from stock tires to Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4? Or the Continental ExtremeContact Continental DWS06+ which also seems to be a popular decision. Is it marginal or substantially better? Can't decide if it's worth to switch now or after
I replace my tires when they reach 4/32. Not worth the risk of an accident or hydroplaning in heavy rain. Don't push your luck. Replace the tires before your trip.

Reactions: Pianewman