Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These were just installed today to replace the original Pirelli P Zero 4 (ELECT) summer tires. The PZ tires were great and were impressively grippy in the rain, even heavy rain on hard acceleration, until recently when temperatures dropped below 50 degrees when they sometimes feel scary at speed. PZ tires had under 2500 miles when they were replaced. Curbed one front wheel last week and there was no curb protection whatsoever (see pics for comparison); fortunately it didn't cost much to repair it locally and came out perfect.

The new tires have a surprising velvet sidewall texture and differed from all product photos of this tire. Michelin confirmed via chat that these tires do have the velvet sidewall. They're laser-etched, reflect light based on direction, have a suede-ish texture, and give a premium look. Here it is on the Pilot Sport 4S Limited Edition: https://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=509&tab=Tires

These were only installed today, but first impressions are very good; steering feel and response is outstanding, and cold-weather wet grip, even while new is a big difference from the OEM tires. Very confidence-inspiring for sure. Car is also less bumpy and there's less noise.

As for the 265mm front tires (255/35 not available for these tires until next winter supposedly), they suit the car very well; car feels as agile, if not more than the original summer tires which sometimes felt very hard to steer; as a bonus the extra width and the PS A/S4's rim protection should protect the wheels better from curbing.

View attachment 615782 View attachment 615783 View attachment 615784 View attachment 615785 View attachment 615786 View attachment 615787

old Pirelli's and lack of protection against curb rash:
View attachment 615788 View attachment 615789
After having several months now, still performing well? Any regrets? Live where I need all seasons and this sounds like a great solution.

Having these installed on my MYP later this week. Apparently these tires are hard to come by right now, took the tire folks about 30 minutes to find someone who had them available. I just took delivery of my MYP last week and was gonna wait a bit but I got a little paranoid after reading about the summer tires performance in 40 degree temps. All I need was to make up to a September frost in NY and be screwed.

Didn’t want to get rid of the 21” tires, they look fantastic. Let’s see how the winter goes.

Trying to decide if i want to get these or another set of wheels. Our winters here arent terrible so i should be able to get by. Never had winter tires on any other car (last car was IS300)

If they have comparable efficiency and road noise to the OEM Pirellis (still haven't seen much long-term analysis on this, but seems consistent with what most people are reporting) then it is a no-brainer. The Pirellis are not a particularly good tire IMHO.

Still trying to decide between PS4S and the AS pilot sports for my new MYP coming in. Though I'll be selling the uberturbines and going with 19"x8.5s replika wheels to avoid curb rash and improved comfort.

I already have a set of performance winter tires. I'm in Boise, and it can get quite cold in the winter, though doesn't snow too often, so most of my winter driving is dry, which is why I got performance winters instead of winter snow tires.

Trying to decide if I want the better grip and rain with the PS4S vs better comfort and tread life of A/S..and..with the A/S I wouldn't have to worry as much for the shoulder seasons on when to make the switch.

Hmm...actually....I wonder if A/S would really be better for my locale. It WONT rain for 3 months during the summer, so that leaves shoulder season rain...which...A/S probably perform better than summer tires at that point...

Just had these installed and so far my experience is similar to other posters. Road noise isn‘t noticeable and the ride is a little less fI’m. I have the PSI at 42 but I’m tempted to move it to 40. Would that make my tire pressure sensors hassle me?

Still trying to decide between PS4S and the AS pilot sports for my new MYP coming in. Though I'll be selling the uberturbines and going with 19"x8.5s replika wheels to avoid curb rash and improved comfort.

I already have a set of performance winter tires. I'm in Boise, and it can get quite cold in the winter, though doesn't snow too often, so most of my winter driving is dry, which is why I got performance winters instead of winter snow tires.

Trying to decide if I want the better grip and rain with the PS4S vs better comfort and tread life of A/S..and..with the A/S I wouldn't have to worry as much for the shoulder seasons on when to make the switch.

Hmm...actually....I wonder if A/S would really be better for my locale. It WONT rain for 3 months during the summer, so that leaves shoulder season rain...which...A/S probably perform better than summer tires at that point...
This is always an easy answer for me. The PS4S is a maximum-performance tire. The AS4 is an ultra-high-performance tire. Meaning the AS4 is probably going to have something like 95% of the grip of the PS4S in dry summer temps.. and the AS4 is going to have equal or significantly higher performance than the PS4S in practically every other driving environment, temperature, surface, location, etc.

How many times are you really pushing your vehicle so far to the limit that you are using 95% of its available performance? My guess is probably never. At least not on a public street or highway. And if you are doing track days then tire choice is a whole other conversation. In addition to the AS4's providing more than enough performance to do anything you'd dare attempt on a public street.. they are going to get significantly longer milage and better comfort. My guess is also outside of a few inches of snow.. the AS4's will be a tire you can easily use year-round. I had the AS3's on my 2007 Corvette and drove that car daily for 7 years.. to including in the snow and had no real issues with traction. I'm not saying the AS4's are equal to a true winter tire.. but I am saying is if you don't have heavy winters you will be just fine using them year round.

This is always an easy answer for me. The PS4S is a maximum-performance tire. The AS4 is an ultra-high-performance tire. Meaning the AS4 is probably going to have something like 95% of the grip of the PS4S in dry summer temps.. and the AS4 is going to have equal or significantly higher performance than the PS4S in practically every other driving environment, temperature, surface, location, etc.

How many times are you really pushing your vehicle so far to the limit that you are using 95% of its available performance? My guess is probably never. At least not on a public street or highway. And if you are doing track days then tire choice is a whole other conversation. In addition to the AS4's providing more than enough performance to do anything you'd dare attempt on a public street.. they are going to get significantly longer milage and better comfort. My guess is also outside of a few inches of snow.. the AS4's will be a tire you can easily use year-round. I had the AS3's on my 2007 Corvette and drove that car daily for 7 years.. to including in the snow and had no real issues with traction. I'm not saying the AS4's are equal to a true winter tire.. but I am saying is if you don't have heavy winters you will be just fine using them year round.

Yep....I'm probably going to go with pilot all season tires. Though, now another wrench has been thrown into the decision making, with Michelin pilot EV tires. I think they are starting with summer EV tires, but I'm hoping they release a all season EV tire by the time I need them (next spring)...

Why not up sizing? 265/40 ZR 21 & 285/40 ZR 21. The fit is good, and the ride is even better. Also, wheels are completely protected against curb rushes. IMHO, these tires look way better than the original Pirelli tires.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.JPG
    IMG_1292.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 1,830
  • IMG_1293.JPG
    IMG_1293.JPG
    581.3 KB · Views: 415
Massive speedometer error (5mph off at 65mph). Can you recalibrate for a different tire size in these cars?
You will get that much of an error when you reach 90 mph. With or without the speedometer error we will be in "Ticket Zone" driving that speed, at least in California. I am not sure if we could do any re-calibration. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all.

Attachments

• Speed Error.PNG
    Speed Error.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 394
Last edited: