Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 on Uberturbines- 265/35 & 275/35R21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, you don't even need precipitation to make summer tires dangerous if it's < 50 degrees outside... The tread compound will get hard... And if you continue driving on it while the tread is hard, the tread can actually break apart in chunks, resulting in permanent damage that will not be covered under warranty. Also, when the tread is hard, you will loose A LOT of grip. You can try driving carefully all you want, but all it will take is one emergency maneuver, and you will likely total your car. I've been there before... Summer tires in 45 degree weather, with no precipitation... Just morning dew... Fishtailed all over the place no matter how lightly I pressed the gas. And throw some curves in the mix, particularly while driving down a hill... That's a recipe for disaster... That's also how my neighbor wrecked his summer tire clad Audi S4 a while back... Slid his car right over a curb into a retaining wall becuase he couldn't navigate a simple curve in the middle of the hill we live on.
And just like that, this Southern Californian is ordering some all seasons before it gets colder. With a baby on the way this all sounds way too risky.

And just like that, this Southern Californian is ordering some all seasons before it gets colder. With a baby on the way this all sounds way too risky.

FWIW, I consider summer tires perfectly fine for year-round use if you stay in the coastal areas and I have run multiple cars that way with no issue. Even on the coldest mornings we get, it's not really enough to push tires into the danger zone. But if you're going up over any significant mountain passes all seasons are warranted unless you're ok ditching the trip if it happens to be too cold in the mountains.

So, I think I waited too long and many sizes are back ordered. I'm going with this set up. Anyone with knowledge disagree or think I shouldn't go with this set up?

Front - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Performance Tire 265/35ZR21/XL 101Y​

Back - MICHELIN Pilot Sport All Season 4 Performance Tire 275/35ZR21/XL 103Y​

So, I think I waited too long and many sizes are back ordered. I'm going with this set up. Anyone with knowledge disagree or think I shouldn't go with this set up?

Front - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Performance Tire 265/35ZR21/XL 101Y​

Back - MICHELIN Pilot Sport All Season 4 Performance Tire 275/35ZR21/XL 103Y​

No issues from reading other posts other than people are going taller and/or wider for more rim protection.

I am thinking of going with either of the below sizes to get taller sidewall and wider tread to protect the rim.
F 265/40/21 - R 285/40/21 or
F 275/35/21 - R 295/35/21

I did the following: all tires Pilot Sport All Season 4

F: 265/40R21
R: 295/35R21

….very happy. Sidewall dimensions are almost identical front/rear with much better rim protection and a slightly better ride. No more of that dreaded “ s t r e t c h e d ” appearance makes the car look better as well IMO. They also fill out the wheel wells better and give the car a more athletic stance to my eye.

285/40R21 on the rear would also be a great option (slightly more sidewall but slightly less width).

Good luck.

I did the following: all tires Pilot Sport All Season 4

F: 265/40R21
R: 295/35R21

….very happy. Sidewall dimensions are almost identical front/rear with much better rim protection and a slightly better ride. No more of that dreaded “ s t r e t c h e d ” appearance makes the car look better as well IMO. They also fill out the wheel wells better and give the car a more athletic stance to my eye.

285/40R21 on the rear would also be a great option (slightly more sidewall but slightly less width).

Good luck.
any pictures?

I didn’t take any photos of the fronts as this spec has been covered in other threads however attached below are some images of the 295/35R21 Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires on the OEM 10.5” Uberturbines that reside on the rear. I‘ll take more holistic photos when the weather improves….

4F548942-3459-43E7-B03A-4113AB66B203.jpeg
F8E3635D-F4E6-4C86-88AB-836E5E0BB9EF.jpeg
2F450B3C-427A-4254-A6D0-23AA124A7D56.jpeg

I have 11k miles on my PUP and my rear tires are getting near their limit. The front tires are still going strong.... 7/32. However, I purchased another pair of front wheels to replace the back for a square set.... We shall see how it goes.
Did you end up getting the square set of the front wheels to go all around? If so, were there any noticeable differences in the drive/performance?

I didn’t take any photos of the fronts as this spec has been covered in other threads however attached below are some images of the 295/35R21 Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires on the OEM 10.5” Uberturbines that reside on the rear. I‘ll take more holistic photos when the weather improves….

View attachment 729011View attachment 729012View attachment 729013
Very nice, this is what I'm planning on doing. The added rim protection is obvious!

Out of curiosity, why did you not choose the 295/40R21? This would have given a little more forward leaning rake. The sidewall height with this would be 118mm vs the 103.5mm of the 295/35. The 265/40 sidewall is 106mm. So you have a ever so slightly rear leaning rake.. Probably not visually evident, but would like to know your thoughts. Thanks!

Very nice, this is what I'm planning on doing. The added rim protection is obvious!

Out of curiosity, why did you not choose the 295/40R21? This would have given a little more forward leaning rake. The sidewall height with this would be 118mm vs the 103.5mm of the 295/35. The 265/40 sidewall is 106mm. So you have a ever so slightly rear leaning rake.. Probably not visually evident, but would like to know your thoughts. Thanks!
I was simply concerned about fitment. All I had for documented precedents was 285/40R21 and 295/30R21. Plenty (well, a few) TMC members posted things like “I‘m sure it will fit” and “others have done it” with respect to the 295/35R21 spec but I didn’t see any concrete proof so I was cautious (295/40 wasn’t even considered). In the end, I’m completely happy with the spec. Having seen how the 295/35 spec fits on my Y, I think the 40 spec could work under no load however I’d be a bit concerned that rubbing would occur under even just partial load. To my eye, the sidewall dimensions front/rear look identical even though they’re ever so slightly different, as you’ve correctly pointed out. Final thought: if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing. Good luck.

Reactions: Maximus2002
I was simply concerned about fitment. All I had for documented precedents was 285/40R21 and 295/30R21. Plenty (well, a few) TMC members posted things like “I‘m sure it will fit” and “others have done it” with respect to the 295/35R21 spec but I didn’t see any concrete proof so I was cautious (295/40 wasn’t even considered). In the end, I’m completely happy with the spec. Having seen how the 295/35 spec fits on my Y, I think the 40 spec could work under no load however I’d be a bit concerned that rubbing would occur under even just partial load. To my eye, the sidewall dimensions front/rear look identical even though they’re ever so slightly different, as you’ve correctly pointed out. Final thought: if I were to do it all over again, I wouldn’t change a thing. Good luck.
Thanks for posting this. I just order the same setup based on your feedback. Have you had any issues with rubbing in the rear with passengers? Any chance you could post a picture of your car from the side to see if there is any rear rake evident? I was going to try for the 285 but tires in this size are hard to come by right now apparently.

no issues with the slightly wider front tires, no one would know a difference unless you’re looking at numbers and know what the stock was.. it’s less of a difference than my Model 3 which runs happily on 245 19” michelin ps a/s3+
Any issues with the speedometer with the larger front tires? Thought I read somewhere else that can make a difference?