Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport EV [tires]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dead on Arrival is correct. o_O

Summer tire, 20k mile warranty and doesn't even have sizes for Model S shown on their promo website... FAIL!

1631452550438.png

I'm 99.9999999% sure the Tesla Spec Pilot Sport 4S is the same tire already as it has very unique characteristics compared to similar size 4S and this is why it wasn't a priority to release a Pilot Sport EV in this size.
You're one of the few people who has appreciated this. Lots of people on the forum who may be approaching this a bit too literally have not figured this out. In other words, the sizes for the Model Y are being released because there is no TO spec Pilot Sport 4S in those sizes, probably only because Tesla dumped Michelin as standard equipment on their uber-popular crossover for the sorry ass Pirelli P Zeros. I suspect there's some additional refinements to improve rolling resistance in the upcoming EV version of the Pilot Sport but a lot of the improvements such as lowered road noise, wider tread and harder tire crown compounding (to reduce exaggerated crown wear at high inflation pressures and also to pick up some efficiency) are already baked into our TO spec tires including a neglected option that people don't pay much attention to, namely the TO spec 4S 275 / 30 - 20 Tire for staggered setups. It's a fantastic tire . You can get that to fit on the front but you'll have to use a whole lot of negative camber and significant offset change from stock. People who are expecting a big range Boost from this EV Pilot Sport compared to the Tesla spec Pilot Sport 4S are going to be disappointed. I'll be surprised if it's more than 5 - 10 Watt hours per mile difference but I'd be very happy on that point to be proven wrong. But we won't know until the tire is available and somebody does formal testing. But I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Jedi2155 and SK360
Either way its a disappointment all around. Move along folks.

No tire sizes for the biggest EV manufacture in the world. (You are trying to sell a performance EV tire right?)
20,000 mile warranty. (LOL. For the price Michelins go for...)
Delayed for over a year.
Before telling everybody to move on, as though you're some kind of thread moderator, did you actually read any of the posts? The current TO spec Pilot Sport 4S is probably the beta version of the Pilot Sport EV. Indeed, there is every reason to believe that Michelin after their collaboration with Tesla decided to take the next step of creating an entire line of similar tires. I doubt there's that much difference between the TO spec Pilot Sport 4S and the EV. Be more than happy to be proven wrong (and I'd be the first person to be pleased if there were significant efficiency differences) but for folks who are looking for at least decent 18 + 20in options, they're already here. I'm curious whether you've actually ever owned or even driven a car with the TO spec Pilot Sport 4S?

Last edited:
Reactions: SK360 and KBaoBao
Before telling everybody to move on, as though you're some kind of thread moderator, did you actually read any of the posts? The current TO spec Pilot Sport 4S is probably the beta version of the Pilot Sport EV. Indeed, there is every reason to believe that Michelin after their collaboration with Tesla decided to take the next step of creating an entire line of similar tires. I doubt there's that much difference between the TO spec Pilot Sport 4S and the EV. Be more than happy to be proven wrong (and I'd be the first person to be pleased if there were significant efficiency differences) but for folks who are looking for at least decent 18 + 20in options, they're already here. I'm curious whether you've actually ever owned or even driven a car with the TO spec Pilot Sport 4S?
Making fun of a 20,000 mile warranty…. I haven’t gotten 20,000 miles out of Performance summer tires in 15 years. So I think we all know the answer to your question

Making fun of a 20,000 mile warranty…. I haven’t gotten 20,000 miles out of Performance summer tires in 15 years. So I think we all know the answer to your question
Yes we have low expectations on that point too but we have gone 35,000 miles out of a set of PS4s. Pretty amazing actually especially given the liberal use of the fun pedal

Reactions: SK360
You keep saying that but it's just not true. The 4S comes standard on a lot of other sports cars, all non EV. It's not beta anything. TO spec is just slightly tweaked for Tesla, doesn't mean it's totally different than other 4Ses.

Not everyone got the 4S as OEM from Tesla, they might want this EV class summer tire also. By not offering the correct sizes for Teslas, they already limited their market. I don't get why you are defending them. We are trying to give them money.

If the 4S is the same as PSEV why would I get the EV when the 4S has better warranty and probably lower price. By offering only 20,000 mile warranty, they are not confident that the tries will last longer than 20,000 miles. Yet the "beta" 4S they are willing to offer 30,000 miles when sports cars beat up on the 4S all day long?

I would be happy with the PSEV or PS4S in T0 spec for my 19” wheels. Right now i’m running the generic sku PS4S on my 19s and they are pretty loud.
Thanks for this. I want to swap out my 20" uberturbine wheels with 19s. But worry it would be loud without 19" T0 tires. You just answered my question. Thanks.

What wheels are you running?

I like the Hankook Ventus S1 evo3 that I've used for 10k miles now in 235/40R19. That tire is actually a T0 spec, per the sidewall marking, although tirerack.com doesn't list it that way. This is the tire Tesla sells as part of a 19" summer tire package: "Featuring Hankook Ventus S1 evo 3 tires, this 19" summer package delivers ultra-quiet noise performance and excellent handling."

I can say that the efficiency I've seen is very near, if not better, than the OE Continental Procontract RX T0 tires I drove for ~40k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: dfwatt
Thanks for this. I want to swap out my 20" uberturbine wheels with 19s. But worry it would be loud without 19" T0 tires. You just answered my question. Thanks.

What wheels are you running?
I'm running the OEM 19s powdercoated in satin black.

They aren't terribly loud but it is a noticeable increase over my previous MXM4 tires.

The tests done by forum members yielded only a couple decibels higher without the foam. I have a 2018 as well so cabin sound dampening isn't as good as your car.

Reactions: Futaba