Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tires: Bridgestone Potenza Sport AS - 235/45R18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking this can be a thread for others to chime in on their experience with the new Bridgestone Potenza Sport AS
Note:
This is the new version of the Potenza RE980AS+. It has been improved and re-released under its new name: Potenza Sport AS

Though reviews on the RE980AS+ were mixed, with some complaining of road noise, a big hit to range, and fast wear, Bridgestone claims to have addressed these issues in this new version. In addition the tire now has improved snow performance. If all this is true, this new version may outperform the Continental DWS06+

Press release:

Costco running a great deal on these, so I decided to give them a shot. I was out the door for sub $1k, including installation and tax, in California.

1st ride review: Seems as quiet as the MXM4s (At least, well worn MXM4s with sub 2/32 tread left). Handling is great, though cornering response seems to imply slightly softer sidewalls. No determination on range yet.

Here's how they compare to the MXM4s for specs (via tirerack):
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Comp...=&sortCode=53850&rearSortCode=&tireIndex=null
sportas-vs-mxm4.png

Installed on 2021 M3 LR:
potenza-as-on-m3.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: l10l and tm1v2
That Bridgestone is intended more of a performance tire than touring MXM4 (or Hankook iON EVO).

So I would expect better grip, and some compromise on efficiency and noise, though new compounds may help.

A eu test didn't show great results (though that is summer version which may be entirely different)

Reactions: l10l
Thanks for posting this! I'm tire shopping now too for my M3 LR AWD and considering these tires. It looks like Discount Tire has both tires (old and new version?), though something isn't adding up here:

Costco's website lists the Potenza Sport as 98W with a 500 treadwear rating for $225 less $15 each on a set of 4, 50K mile warranty; Discount Tire lists the Bridgestone Potenza Sport as 98Y with a 300 treadwear rating and the Bridgestone Potenza RE980 A/S Plus as 98W with the 500 rating. Discount Tire lists the Potenza Sport at $259, no mention of warranty, whereas the Potenza RE980 A/S Plus is listed at $226 with a 50K warranty. Seems likely that neither website is correct.

The Potenza Sport photo that @shanghaiMTB posted looks like 500 treadwear, but I can't say for sure that it isn't 300. Can anyone get a clear read of the sidewall of the Potenza Sport that Costco is selling?

The performance test article link posted by @DrChaos was from May, 2023 for a 92Y-rated tire, and the launch of the updated tire (at least in the US) appears to have been in September for a Y-rated tire.

Anyone know of specs, EV-relevant test results, or other info out there that are definitely for the updated version of the tire?

1-week review: So far loving the tire. Only a touch noisier to my ear. (Granted I am running serious all terrain tires on my Jeep that absolutely roar, so my noise tolerance likely higher than most) More responsive than the MXM4, with exception of initial turn into corners where I get the sense the sidewall is a bit softer - though it's so slight I could be imagining it. Though these tires were found to be harsher over bumps than others in their group, they feel considerably more compliant than my worn MXM4s. Too early to say on range hit.

Happy so far.

Forgot to mention, some people questioning why compare UHP AS tire to a GT tire. I have no experience with other UHP AS and those comparisons are available elsewhere. (Vs DSW06+, etc)I think it’s more valuable to give people a comparison to a tire that many have experience with - the MXM4. Cheers.

An UHP AS tire is a higher performing tire than GT, with the typical drawbacks of added noise, lesser tread life, and to a lesser extent, harsher ride. But the better question is how much worse on each count vs 'x' GT tire. I think the price is basically the same, so at least no difference there. Depends on what you want out of the tires, and the more comparisons, the better for others to make the right decision:).