Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Primacy MXM 4 235/45 R18 OEM tire life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering how much life you are getting from the OEM tires. I have about 14,500 on them and the are getting close to replacement. I took them off for the winter and put snow tires on. Are my expectation of tire life unreasonable? I am 75 so I’m not squealing out at every stop light.

My experience is similar. I have 13k on my car and the rear tires are getting close to the wear bars and will need to be replaced soon. I occasionally accelerate quickly but for the most part don’t drive very aggressively. I’m pretty surprised by how quickly the tires will need to be replaced.

Reactions: Bobbo8
Wondering how much life you are getting from the OEM tires. I have about 14,500 on them and the are getting close to replacement. I took them off for the winter and put snow tires on. Are my expectation of tire life unreasonable? I am 75 so I’m not squealing out at every stop light.
Bob, please do not give us seniors a bad rap, have fun and smoke those tires every chance you get.
From an older senior that uses the right pedal the way the tire companies like ;-)

I have 14,300 on mine & they look great and are wearing evenly, maybe a little more wear on the centers. I run 44 psi on them. Based on wear to-date, I'm expecting 30K-35K from them, maybe more. I drive conservatively, and I have rotated them front-rear twice already.

Tire life is vastly different in rear wheel drives vs dual motors - dual motor tires last much longer

As you might know even our AWD are rear biased so initial acceleration is RWD.

I just rotated my tires at 18,500 miles and my rears were at 4s and fronts were at 7s. Big mistake thinking AWD will wear similar. Hoping to get to 25K or so and maybe buy two tires or 4 and keep 2 spare at home. So yeah, do rotation every 6-8K.

correct about rear wheels not wearing evenly even in AWD - however, the overall tire longevity is increased as compared to RWD. There have been multiple threads on this and the consensus seemed to be the regen being distributed as well as acceleration vs all that to just the rears.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: boriszima
15k miles, RWD mid-range, 5-6/32" left on tires, so I'm getting close to replacement time. I was debating replacing them now before winter weather starts happening but I think I'm going to take a gamble and wait until 2020. Here's hoping whatever I replace them with are a little less garbage when it comes to treadwear.

Last edited:
We have over 27000 so far. It's been a bit since I measured the tread, but I was forecasting replacement around 35000.