Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Microgrid Article by Bill Brooks Explaining Gateway 2 PCS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article is excellent and technical. It helps to explain the power of the Tesla Powerwall PCS settings.

This is the appropriate place to point an AHJ who has concerns about the combined grid, Powerwall and PV energy back feeding the upstream panels. Its also just great reading for those wanting to learn more.

It is the Electrical Inspectors Magazine, so it might be pretty technical for some people.

Connection of Normal and Emergency Power Sources for Homes - IAEI Magazine

This article is excellent and technical. It helps to explain the power of the Tesla Powerwall PCS settings.

This is the appropriate place to point an AHJ who has concerns about the combined grid, Powerwall and PV energy back feeding the upstream panels. Its also just great reading for those wanting to learn more.

It is the Electrical Inspectors Magazine, so it might be pretty technical for some people.

Connection of Normal and Emergency Power Sources for Homes - IAEI Magazine
Great article. Just need to get counties, inspectors, etc on board.

The last one is similar to my install. 100A main panel > TEG > 200A load center (house circuits only) > 100A load center (2ESS and 9.5KW PV). Then again LA country is not approving the permit, but the best guess right now is that they oversized my inverter. I was happy to have a 200A load center for the house since I need to put in a 60A breaker for a HPWC after everything is done.

also 3W per sq ft for lighting?!? so the rule of thumb is 4500W for lighting in a 1500 sq ft house? I think if you turned on every single light in my house it would <200W.

The last one is similar to my install. 100A main panel > TEG > 200A load center (house circuits only) > 100A load center (2ESS and 9.5KW PV). Then again LA country is not approving the permit, but the best guess right now is that they oversized my inverter. I was happy to have a 200A load center for the house since I need to put in a 60A breaker for a HPWC after everything is done.

also 3W per sq ft for lighting?!? so the rule of thumb is 4500W for lighting in a 1500 sq ft house? I think if you turned on every single light in my house it would <200W.

Its 3w/sqft for lighting and general outlet loads that are not otherwise captured in the appliance calculation or the heating/cooling.

Its 3w/sqft for lighting and general outlet loads that are not otherwise captured in the appliance calculation or the heating/cooling.

ah, still overkill for my situation but Tesla gave me 300 sqft more house than I actually had in the load calculation, plus a 50A spa I didn’t have and still made it on the NEC 220.83. Now I see the 3VA/sq ft on the sheet.