Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla surprises with a $4800 bill on existing $5300 install contract

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up doing the panel upgrade after all because my 200 amp main service is a split bus bar with a 100 amp max branch breaker. They upgraded it to a 225 amp square D so they could plug in a single 200 amp breaker and run it to the GW2. The additional cost for this upgrade was $4200. At least they didn't surprise me with it after the fact....although it's now been two days since final inspection and I haven't gotten an invoice yet o_O

I ended up doing the panel upgrade after all because my 200 amp main service is a split bus bar with a 100 amp max branch breaker. They upgraded it to a 225 amp square D so they could plug in a single 200 amp breaker and run it to the GW2. The additional cost for this upgrade was $4200. At least they didn't surprise me with it after the fact....although it's now been two days since final inspection and I haven't gotten an invoice yet o_O
Hi @sorka, was this upgrade from Tesla? Or you did it 3rd party separately? Have similar situation, The Square D SC2040M200C 200A w/ 100A max branch...but Tesla are just saying they will not backup the home, rather just 100A. Didn't give an option of an upgrade (are they not offering that anymore)?

Would really like to backup the whole home. Have ADU, will be adding second AC. Have 2x 48A EVSE (only need to backup one, but would prefer not to have zero). Will definitely get pretty close to the 200A service we currently have.

1679310168559-png.919427

This was done by Tesla. If you have a third party do a MSP upgrade, you run the risk of Tesla saying it still won't work for whatever reason. My only advice if you go with Tesla for the install is to not mix third parties into it.
Is there a chance that Tesla doesn’t offer this type of stuff anymore? They’ve told me multiple times they will have to limit the backed up loads to 100A because that is the Max Branch Breaker current on my current MSP…but they’ve never offered doing the upgrade and charging extra.