Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the cost is not the major issue, it is a no brainer to get LR RWD while it lasts rather than MR RWD.
335 miles of range plus 6 mo. free supercharging is a good deal. We don't have enough information on actual midrange battery size and its range.

Besides you get a peace of mind qualifying the 7500 federal tax rebate.

Where are people getting these artificial inflation of 335 miles range for the LR? I charge it up to 100% and I get 313 and 311.

“Fake justification” to buy Long Range vs Mid Ange?

EPA rated initially as 334 miles of range. Many people also get around 225 Wh/mile. That's like 1 kWh gets 4.4 miles.

With 78.2 kWh battery, that easily gets about 350 miles. With EPA's conservative rating compared to EU which is more tolerant, that's about right.

As far as I know, Tesla asked EPA to lower the range from 334 miles to 310 miles due to unknown reasons. We think either it hurts the Model S and X sales or Model S AWD and Performance Sales.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Where are people getting these artificial inflation of 335 miles range for the LR? I charge it up to 100% and I get 313 and 311.

I doubt it will ever DISPLAY 330 range. People are talking about real life results.

Though 330 is probably a stretch anyway unless hypermilling.

I get nowhere near 310 with 350 watt miles avg of driving for me.

350 Watt miles average?? You sure are having real fun!

I get 255 Wh/miles, and I thought I was driving already aggressive.

I sure am! Though I see it slipping the more and more I drive in dense traffic.

Forced reduction in fun and watt miles...

Last edited:
If the cost is not the major issue, it is a no brainer to get LR RWD while it lasts rather than MR RWD.
335 miles of range plus 6 mo. free supercharging is a good deal. We don't have enough information on actual midrange battery size and its range.

Besides you get a peace of mind qualifying the 7500 federal tax rebate.

It's always buying the biggest battery you can afford, cost per KW, efficiency, and charging infrastructure when getting EVs. Which is a big reason why the iPace is a dumb purchase. First time EV buyers on the iPace are going to get destroyed when the reality hits them. :(

MR wins for lowest out the door cost esp with the full rebate.

As much as the MR should be quite a good deal compared to an SR if you can get it by the end of the year, I have an even better deal available: keep driving my current vehicle for as long as it works, and see whether Tesla can really deliver on the key promise that is the reason why I'm interested in the company.

There's a huge opportunity cost to us for NOT driving a Tesla.

Since you will never comprehend that, I think it's better for you to never get a Tesla. Please don't order the MR and take up a slot from someone who will appreciate it for what it is.

What is this 'key' promise anyway?

Last edited:
320-360 Wh here P3D+ and 80 mph highway commutes.

Although during rush hour and with autopilot, I got 280 Wh/mile for the first time the other day.

Well, at this season, it should be colder there in Indiana than here in SoCal; therefore, it may negatively affect the range. Also If you drive 80 mph, that sounds normal to get over 320 Wh/mile. I drive 65 mph-70mph and enjoy the ride most of the time in in lane 3 or 4.

It's always buying the biggest battery you can afford, cost per KW, efficiency, and charging infrastructure when getting EVs. Which is a big reason why the iPace is a dumb purchase. First time EV buyers on the iPace are going to get destroyed when the reality hits them. :(

There's a huge opportunity cost to us for NOT driving a Tesla.

Since you will never comprehend that, I think it's better for you to never get a Tesla. Please don't order the MR and take up a slot from someone who will appreciate for what it is.

What is this 'key' promise anyway?

I second the Model 3 over iPace. There was an article in TMC how the first guy to get iPace think Tesla is rubbish due to fit issues. I do acknowledge that my Model X does have panel gap but it is not noticeable and I have no issue with the ride. Besides I get a massive discount.

MR with supercharging capability is miles ahead of iPace without its own charging infrastructure. Oh don't forget that Model 3 is also cheaper, and has greater range (260mi vs 240 mi) and much much better looking!

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja

Wow now that you've mentioned Out-PACEd, you reminded me. MR Model 3 still has more range than I-PACE at nearly $30k cheaper price. Model 3 is extremely efficient when driving real world speeds. I-PACE tanks pretty badly when you go above 50mph.

Wow now that you've mentioned Out-PACEd, you reminded me. MR Model 3 still has more range than I-PACE at nearly $30k cheaper price. Model 3 is extremely efficient when driving real world speeds. I-PACE tanks pretty badly when you go above 50mph.

Don’t forget the frunk space. You have a carry on sized storage on the Model 3.

iPace has enough room for a pack of tampons. Guess that’s sufficient when you only have enough range to get to a grocery store.

• Funny
Reactions: TT97

The range displayed in the car (i.e. in charging screen, battery icon, etc) is just "rated range", which is basically the same as % rather than using your driving history to determine range. When you're using navigation it will actually try to predict battery state at end of trip (or at each supercharger) based on the driving you're doing (i.e. speed) but otherwise the range is just a simple charge to "(EPA) rated miles" conversion.

As such, it can both under and overestimate range, since it takes into account nothing about how you drive (very hot or cold, headwinds, or driving aggressively, can reduce effective range; as can driving more relaxed with mild weather or tailwinds, can increase effective range)

The range displayed in the car (i.e. in charging screen, battery icon, etc) is just "rated range", which is basically the same as % rather than using your driving history to determine range. When you're using navigation it will actually try to predict battery state at end of trip (or at each supercharger) based on the driving you're doing (i.e. speed) but otherwise the range is just a simple charge to "(EPA) rated miles" conversion.

As such, it can both under and overestimate range, since it takes into account nothing about how you drive (very hot or cold, headwinds, or driving aggressively, can reduce effective range; as can driving more relaxed with mild weather or tailwinds, can increase effective range)

The new energy charts are pretty helpful in gauging range anxiety. They give an actual estimate based on your last 5, 15 or 30 miles. It is helpful in at least realizing if you keep doing what you are doing this is what you have. I did about a thousand miles in a road trip this last week and there were a couple times those charts helped me decide if I could stretch to a further supercharger. I play it conservative but by the end I trusted it to get me home at 8% and it did.

The new energy charts are pretty helpful in gauging range anxiety. They give an actual estimate based on your last 5, 15 or 30 miles. It is helpful in at least realizing if you keep doing what you are doing this is what you have. I did about a thousand miles in a road trip this last week and there were a couple times those charts helped me decide if I could stretch to a further supercharger. I play it conservative but by the end I trusted it to get me home at 8% and it did.
Yeah during one of our middle legs of a road trip a few weeks ago I was keeping an eye on the estimated charge for arrival at Austin SC. We were doing 80 mph like every other car on the road, but if the expected range were to start dropping I would have slowed down. Luckily putting in just what the car said to put in at Columbus was all we needed.

You’re better off waiting for another car manufacture to come out with a EV.

Other manufacturers have EVs. But I want to buy from a manufacturer that actually shows real commitment* to EVs, not faux commitment timed neatly with the EU 2021 regulations, or China 2020 regulations.

That's why Tesla has $1k of my money and I'm willing to spend $10k more than I've ever spent on a car that isn't really the kind of car that I want. But I have my limits.

* And isn't VW. I hate the thought of getting into my car every day and thinking "Dieselgate".