Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid range battery available now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week, not that much. This week, after we apparently got access to the electronic parts catalog, quite a bit: 62 kWh pack - and a different rear drive motor that's shared with the SR version:

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47412

Not sure how meaningful the title is, but IGBT instead of MOSFET. FWIW, the induction front motor is also called IGBT in the title - not sure if that's relevant.
How did I miss this (the EPC) was a thing? Those are some nice vectorized images for the different wiring harnesses, too bad you can't actually tell what each connector on the harness is for via mouseover or clicking or something...

Now if we can get some wiring diagrams and service manuals available to the public ... :D

Interesting that the two front USB ports are apparently part of a USB hub, rather than being wired as two separate USB runs from somewhere else. I wonder if it's USB in, or if it's some kind of weird USB over CAN/BroadR/whatever thing. Sure makes my plan to shoehorn an extra hub in and bury a Raspberry Pi to act as both dashcam and music storage (which would auto upload dashcam over wifi and allow wifi access to add/remove music) more complicated ...

Last week, not that much. This week, after we apparently got access to the electronic parts catalog, quite a bit: 62 kWh pack - and a different rear drive motor that's shared with the SR version:

https://epc.teslamotors.com/#/systemGroups/47412

Not sure how meaningful the title is, but IGBT instead of MOSFET. FWIW, the induction front motor is also called IGBT in the title - not sure if that's relevant.

Can you explain? Your link took me to S parts.

Can you explain? Your link took me to S parts.

That's bizarre. I definitely pulled it from the 3 side. It's showing something slightly different for me now - but since I wasn't sure if our access was permanent, I took a screen shot...

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 5.52.09 PM.png

Fwiw (not much,) the '62 kWh' MR is 13 kWh less capacity than the '75 kWh' LR model. Should that 13 kWh difference in battery size hold true then the MR range is also sand-bagged. That is a much better value for the MR model if true but I'll remain skeptical for now.

The different rear drive unit might also have an impact on efficiency/range, positive or negative.

If MOSFET vs IGBT is the only difference in the DU, then perhaps the implied difference in drive inverter means that MR is using SR motor/inverter, which implies that the only thing not ready for SR production was the battery pack line, and this way they can use the additional supply of SR parts for MR in the mean time. Would explain the reduced performance of MR to / around SR levels (0-60, top speed).

if the LR is now permanently behind the AWD paywall then they lost a customer in me.

I´m not paying for a 2nd DU that I absolutely have no use for but I definitely need the LR battery if I don`t want to be the snail on the right lane here in germany......

I also believe they are intentionally putting the LR battery behind the AWD paywall and will force people to get either AWD or upgrade to a MS or MX. I still don't understand why they are burning 2170 batteries on a MR battery pack when they can put the 2170s into a model S or model X range improvement and get a much higher gross margin car out of it. Time will tell.

I also believe they are intentionally putting the LR battery behind the AWD paywall and will force people to get either AWD or upgrade to a MS or MX. I still don't understand why they are burning 2170 batteries on a MR battery pack when they can put the 2170s into a model S or model X range improvement and get a much higher gross margin car out of it. Time will tell.

Maybe because they haven't made an S&X pack that takes 18650s yet? Or what would they do with the the 18650s if they did?

I believe they are planning 2170 MS / MX next.

I believe they are planning 2170 MS / MX next.
Not for more than a year. They don't have the battery capacity. Those cells when they make more a needed for Tesla Energy and after that the Semi etc. They really need to expand GF1 in a big way to have enough cells for that.

I suspect the MS/MX will get better 18650 chemistry before that. A 120kWh version could be made with 18650 cells or a lighter 100kWh.

Fwiw (not much,) the '62 kWh' MR is 13 kWh less capacity than the '75 kWh' LR model. Should that 13 kWh difference in battery size hold true then the MR range is also sand-bagged. That is a much better value for the MR model if true but I'll remain skeptical for now.
The IGBT inverter could also reduce range. Based on the ratio of battery capacities, the range should be 276 miles, but if the the IGBT inverter has about 95% of the efficiency of the SiC MOSFET inverter the range would end up at 260 miles.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht