Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mild "bump" when accelerating gently (AWD/Performance only?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if others are experiencing something similar.

When accelerating gently, I roll into the "throttle" with my foot. Once underway, when I push the pedal past a certain point, I can feel a slight bump or jolt in the drivetrain, almost as if one of the motors has sprung to life. If, however, I apply immediate and constant pressure to the pedal--for instance, when accelerating aggressively--then I don't feel the bump. It's very subtle, and only happens when accelerating gradually from a complete stop, and only below about 10mph. It's not something that I noticed right away, but now I can replicate this fairly easily.

My initial thought is that it has something to do the with the synchronization of the front and rear motor. It's as if the rear motor fires up first, then the front motor joins later when more thrust is required. (Or perhaps front first, then rear?) Of course, I don't know if this is actually what's happening, and it may not even be an AWD thing, or even a motor issue at all. I'm going to mention it at my first service, but would like to know if anyone else feels this in their Model 3.

Side note: Our Model X does not exhibit this behavior. Acceleration is seamless.