Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles driven vs miles used on P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it takes awhile for the car to figure out how much energy you use and adjust it's miles remaining to compensate.

Also the car assumes you have the 18" wheels with the aero covers, it's been shown the 20" sport wheels on the P3D+ get much worse range than the standard RWD/AWD/P3D- 18" wheels with the aero covers left on.

I think it takes awhile for the car to figure out how much energy you use and adjust it's miles remaining to compensate.

Also the car assumes you have the 18" wheels with the aero covers, it's been shown the 20" sport wheels on the P3D+ get much worse range than the standard RWD/AWD/P3D- 18" wheels with the aero covers left on.
The car doesn’t base its remaining range on your driving habits - it doesn’t do this on S or X either. It also doesn’t make any assumptions about wheel size. It is simply based on official EPA numbers.

That said, Tesla may want to hire some more AI folks to do exactly that - predict remaining miles based on driving history/driver profile/tire size/pressure etc.

The car doesn’t base its remaining range on your driving habits - it doesn’t do this on S or X either. It also doesn’t make any assumptions about wheel size. It is simply based on official EPA numbers.

That said, Tesla may want to hire some more AI folks to do exactly that - predict remaining miles based on driving history/driver profile/tire size/pressure etc.
It does, just not for the range display. The GPS/route planning knows what range you actually see, as far as I can tell. It's pretty accurate with its predictions.

294 at 75 is average at 44 psi on ap 5000 mi so far. It’s going to vary but 290 range seems about right for 75. I think smaller wheels would help but drags not a friend of ev and I don’t think you’ll get close to the rated range in a p3d doing 75 mph. Maybe down hill lol

Yesterday I took a 450 mile road trip. I got 292 miles in 75KWH. Temps 68-90 deg, 60-80 mph. Definitely more efficient at 60 mph and definitely more efficient at 90F than 70F. Drafting trucks did not help as much as my Chevy Bolt. Supercharging much better than CCS.

Start / stop driving in town is much less efficient than my Bolt. Kind of inverse, the P3D+ seems more efficient at low highway speeds than in town. Must be the heavy wheels and the aerodynamics.

P3D- lurker. My max-efficiency configuration to minimize Supercharger stops on long trips. Requires taking off my mental racing helmet and putting on my engineering pocket-protector.
- Tires 48 - 50 psi cold
- Chill mode. Makes EAP much gentler.
- ACC at 72 - 73 mph. Wh/mile seems to climb sharply above 70 mph. Air suspension lowering lets our S100D pay lower penalty for higher speeds.
- Air conditioner off if outside temp is cool enough to allow it. Recirc on unless windows start fogging. Cabin temp set to minimize amount of heat needed. Use seat heater instead.

Drove Boston - Philadelphia Saturday afternoon/night. Philadelphia-NYC round-trip for brunch on Sunday. Lots of opportunity to experiment.
Screenshot 2018-10-05 00.32.19.png
Screenshot 2018-10-05 00.34.29.png

Adding the two, 98% of battery capacity for about 311 miles.

Did a 450 mile round trip from SF Bay area to L Tahoe, Truckee in a P3D- a couple of days ago. Highest elevation reached was Donner pass at over 7,200 ft. All kinds of driving conditions from dry to heavy rain, sleet and some snow. Temps from 8C to 27C. Hurtled down I-80 pretty much passing all other cars and trucks! Definitely did not baby the car. Used 112kWhr giving 249 Wh/mile. Amazing! Lifetime Wh/mile is 240 and hasn't moved much since this long drive. TACC was very useful but had its limitations. Auto wiper worked well, but sometimes would need a manual wipe for low mist conditions. Auto steer needs watching for sure. I don't see FSD happening until *all* cars on the road reach that capability with communications between the cars. The best supercharger was the one at Stateline (L Tahoe) where I got over 100kW power into the battery and got almost fully recharged (+200 miles) in 1hr (barely had time to finish lunch).

Reactions: DR61
P3D+ here with 20 inch wheels

I've been averaging about 333 Wh/mi for the first 300 miles. This includes quite a lot of aggressive acceleration as I play with the new toy :)

As an experiment though I decided to drive to work in Chill mode and try to maximize my efficiency. It's about 20 miles of mostly highway and heavy city traffic in San Francisco. Even babying it on acceleration and trying to use regen as much as possible I was still only able to get about 270 Wh/mi for the round trip. That works out to a range of about 278 miles (75 kWh / 0.28 kWh per mile) so I doubt I could get the stated 310 miles range even if I tried really hard.

Is the 310 mile EPA range tested with the 18 inch aero wheels? If the 20 inch wheels reduce efficiency by about 10% (I heard the aero wheels add about 10% to efficiency) that would account for the range I'm seeing. Not that I'm complaining, it's got plenty of range for my purposes whether it's getting 270 or 310.

P3D+ here with 20 inch wheels

I've been averaging about 333 Wh/mi for the first 300 miles. This includes quite a lot of aggressive acceleration as I play with the new toy :)

As an experiment though I decided to drive to work in Chill mode and try to maximize my efficiency. It's about 20 miles of mostly highway and heavy city traffic in San Francisco. Even babying it on acceleration and trying to use regen as much as possible I was still only able to get about 270 Wh/mi for the round trip. That works out to a range of about 278 miles (75 kWh / 0.27 kWh per mile) so I doubt I could get the stated 310 miles range even if I tried really hard.

Is the 310 mile EPA range tested with the 18 inch aero wheels? If the 20 inch wheels reduce efficiency by about 10% (I heard the aero wheels add about 10% to efficiency) that would account for the range I'm seeing. Not that I'm complaining, it's got plenty of range for my purposes whether it's getting 270 or 310.

I have a set of wheels coming in tomorrow with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tires, I will do a run on the highway with both sets and compare numbers.

I finally got the MXM4 tires on the car and was able to do some distance runs, went from 345 on the 4S tires to 250wh/mi on the MXM4. Both sets were at 45psi. Big difference in tire noise as well, very quiet on the MX. Both sets of tires are 235.