Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles driven vs miles used on P3D+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is normal, but wanted to get some feedback.

I drove 51 miles this morning and used 80 miles worth of battery at 369 wh/mi. Granted, I was having some fun and stomping it here and there.. averaging about 75mph on the freeway. I'm just a bit surprised that there is about a 35% difference.

I read on here that some guy's battery was draining way too quickly, so wanted to see if my consumption is within the normal range or not.

Holy moly 369wh/mi is very high - that is some spirited driving in a 3... You wouldn't complain about your mpg going down in an ICE car if you drove like that.
If you ease off of the aggressive driving, you should get 260-280 wh/mi and get actual range close to stated range

Reactions: Arpe
Totally normal to see those kinds of variations. Especially when the car is new and just starting to learn your behavior. I have 5500 miles on mine and it can still vary significantly on range when I drive aggressively (which seems to be much more often these days).

That’s quite high usage. Admittedly I haven’t driven a ton yet, but so far my P3D+ has generally stayed under 300 wh/mile with mostly highway driving and I think the AC on low. I think I was getting around 260-270 yesterday.

Did you have heat and/or AC running?

I forgot to mention that I’m in a long range model 3, not the P3D and have had it since Feb (hence the usage). However I have seen many variations to range over the course of owning the car, so I wanted to let you know it’s perfectly normal. If I’m good, I get around 250 with pretty high AC usage, as I’m in Miami. At 250-275, my range stays pretty consistent. Remember that with a Tesla, highway driving is typically less efficient. My slower speed commute is where I usually average around 250. Hope that helps!

Has anyone done an extended test of wh/mi on a P3D+ in chill mode? Logically it should make a difference, right?

I suppose I should test it myself for a couple days. Clicking the "chill" button, though, interests me about as much as eating cauliflower.

Got it.. so the lower the # the better? I'm just trying to figure out if my battery is draining at a normal rate.

Here's how it works. That number represents how much energy it takes to move the car per mile, so you basically want the number as low as possible. To get 100% of the quoted range, you need to get about 240 wh/mi.

However - that number ALSO includes things like heating/air conditioning, so you can improve your efficiency (and reduce the number) in a few different ways. Your efficiency is also heavily influenced by how long your trip is, you will get much better efficiency on a longer trip compared to a short sprint around the block.

The RWD version of the Model 3 will always be the most efficient and can probably get around 190-200 wh/mile when cruising on the highway and maybe 240-250 for overall driving with short trips and spirited driving included.

The Performance versions of Model 3 are inherently less efficient because we have 2 motors (and probably drive faster :p) and also have bigger, less efficient wheels. This means that a Performance version might only get 260-280 wh/mile when cruising on the highway and around 320-330 with short trips and spirited driving.

All numbers above are from my own experience owning a RWD and P Model 3 with AC running on auto at 70F and highway speeds around 70 mph.

Last edited:
Here's how it works. That number represents how much energy it takes to move the car per mile, so you basically want the number as low as possible. To get 100% of the quoted range, you need to get about 240 wh/mi.

However - that number ALSO includes things like heating/air conditioning, so you can improve your efficiency (and reduce the number) in a few different ways. Your efficiency is also heavily influenced by how long your trip is, you will get much better efficiency on a longer trip compared to a short sprint around the block.

The RWD version of the Model 3 will always be the most efficient and can probably get around 190-200 wh/mile when cruising on the highway and maybe 240-250 for overall driving with short trips and spirited driving included.

The Performance versions of Model 3 are inherently less efficient because we have 2 motors (and probably drive faster :p) and also have bigger, less efficient wheels. This means that a Performance version might only get 260-280 wh/mile when cruising on the highway and around 320-330 with short trips and spirited driving.

All numbers above are from my own experience owning a RWD and P Model 3 with AC running on auto at 70F and highway speeds around 70 mph.

@kbecks13,

Agreed. I’m getting the exact same numbers, same conditions on my new P3D+.

Ski

This lines up with my experience as well. My "lifetime" counter is almost dead-on 300 Wh/mile.

Hmm..Took my P3D+ on its first road trip last weekend and was getting 345 Wh/mile going 75 on autopilot. Turned climate off to see if it would help, did not really improve. My S100D runs in the upper 200 range under the same conditions. It has air suspension so it lowers at highway speeds and is on tires with a lower roll resistance, but it is also bigger and heavier.

Will someone with a P3D+ run at 75 long enough to get a reading so we can compare?

Hmm..Took my P3D+ on its first road trip last weekend and was getting 345 Wh/mile going 75 on autopilot. Turned climate off to see if it would help, did not really improve. My S100D runs in the upper 200 range under the same conditions. It has air suspension so it lowers at highway speeds and is on tires with a lower roll resistance, but it is also bigger and heavier.

Will someone with a P3D+ run at 75 long enough to get a reading so we can compare?

I think it is the tires themselves (assuming you are on the 19" Goodyears). The Michelin PS4S are undoubtedly stickier (greater roll resistance as you note) and they have a wider contact patch per Tire Rack (8.8" tread width for the Michelins vs. 8.2" for the Goodyears - note: Tire Rack's rim widths were 8.5" and 8" respectively here). I seem to recall seeing my P85+ go from 330 on an out of town trip (with the 21" PS2s) to about 300 (with the 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring), but it has been a couple of years since I swapped (note: I did it for the noise reduction, not the efficiency).

I think it is the tires themselves (assuming you are on the 19" Goodyears). The Michelin PS4S are undoubtedly stickier (greater roll resistance as you note) and they have a wider contact patch per Tire Rack (8.8" tread width for the Michelins vs. 8.2" for the Goodyears - note: Tire Rack's rim widths were 8.5" and 8" respectively here). I seem to recall seeing my P85+ go from 330 on an out of town trip (with the 21" PS2s) to about 300 (with the 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring), but it has been a couple of years since I swapped (note: I did it for the noise reduction, not the efficiency).

I have a set of wheels coming in tomorrow with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 Tires, I will do a run on the highway with both sets and compare numbers.

Actually, I think my efficiency is more like 330 now on long drives...maybe closer to 370 with the 21s, but I don't have much "before" data from TeslaFI to be sure. One thing I do know...all of my daily <10 miles trips have very high use!

Check your tire pressures. My car was delivered Sep. 11th, and it is significantly cooler where I am now (15-20 deg.) I was at 39 PSI cold. Bumping it back to 43 cold has lowered my Wh/mile by ~20 at highway speeds.