TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Milling sound: drive unit replaced

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Bet TSLA, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

I brought my P85 in for its two year service this past week. One of my complaints was that I was hearing a whine that started at about 10mph and was hearable up to about 30mph. It went away if I was slowing. Not too bad, but a bit annoying.

It took the tech about 10 seconds of test driving to tell me that I was hearing the infamous "milling" sound. So they replaced the drive unit (with a remanufactured rev P). I was a bit surprised to run into this as I hadn't heard any complaints on the forums about the problem for quite a while. They do seem to be quite confident that their current remanufactured drives are not going to have this problem again.

I remain very pleased with Tesla service.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The post volume about the "milling" sound seems to have gone to almost zero over the past several months. Of course that doesn't mean that older cars are not still developing the problem. Your two year old P85 developing the problem demonstrates that it is an "easy fix" and I'm glad to hear that your problem was resolved quickly. Earlier this year my three year old 85 (non P) started to make the noise. It was quite faint and of course did not create any sort of problem that interfered with the operation of my car, but my Service Center immediately replaced the drive unit and the noise disappeared. It has not come back. I now have about 50K miles on my car and it is running perfectly. There are some owners who had to have multiple drive units installed to get rid of the noise.

It does appear that newer Teslas are not developing the "milling" sound.

3. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Member

Yeah, I should have mentioned that I had put about 37,000 miles on my P85 when it first showed the symptom.

4. tliving

tliving Member

I've got the milling sound now (on my second DU), I haven't contacted the SC yet. It started towards the end of the last Quarter and I wanted to wait for things to quiet down. The way they explained it when they replaced the last one was that it was supposed to be fixed for good, but the noise is definitely back. Last time I had this noise, like the OP they decided to replace it within a block of test driving.