Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mini split troubleshooting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't want to hijack @h2ofun's recent mini-split thread, so starting a new one.

I have two Mitsubishi Mr Slim systems, one with two heads (9K, 9K) and the other with three heads (18K, 12K, 6K). The two headed system works fine, drawing around 1.5kW mid-winter. The three headed system usually draws around 2.5-3kW mid-winter, and for the past year the outdoor unit has intermittently stopped working. I usually notice this by the drop in power usage reported by the Tesla API. Last winter, it only happened a couple of times and resetting the units or breaker would get them working again. This winter it has been getting progressively worse and at times the unit needs to remain off for hours or days before starting to work again. The local Mitsubishi Diamond vendor who had been maintaining the units annually replaced the logic boards and tested the thermistor but has been unable to get it working properly even after consulting with Mitsubishi. I think they have given up as it's been two months since I last heard from them. I've been unsuccessful getting anyone else to troubleshoot as most will only work on systems they installed, and Mitsub won't help homeowners directly. So, any suggestions from the experts around on what else to consider? Would the pressure switch cause this kind of behavior and how hard is it to replace? As the unit (MXZ-4B36NA) is around 10 years old, I'm starting to consider just getting new ones installed although I hoped these would last at least twice as long.

Didn't want to hijack @h2ofun's recent mini-split thread, so starting a new one.

I have two Mitsubishi Mr Slim systems, one with two heads (9K, 9K) and the other with three heads (18K, 12K, 6K). The two headed system works fine, drawing around 1.5kW mid-winter. The three headed system usually draws around 2.5-3kW mid-winter, and for the past year the outdoor unit has intermittently stopped working. I usually notice this by the drop in power usage reported by the Tesla API. Last winter, it only happened a couple of times and resetting the units or breaker would get them working again. This winter it has been getting progressively worse and at times the unit needs to remain off for hours or days before starting to work again. The local Mitsubishi Diamond vendor who had been maintaining the units annually replaced the logic boards and tested the thermistor but has been unable to get it working properly even after consulting with Mitsubishi. I think they have given up as it's been two months since I last heard from them. I've been unsuccessful getting anyone else to troubleshoot as most will only work on systems they installed, and Mitsub won't help homeowners directly. So, any suggestions from the experts around on what else to consider? Would the pressure switch cause this kind of behavior and how hard is it to replace? As the unit (MXZ-4B36NA) is around 10 years old, I'm starting to consider just getting new ones installed although I hoped these would last at least twice as long.
Wow, thats the pits. When mine were first put in, the larger compressor would spin up all the time. Mits did not believe. But they ended up sending out an engineer multiple times. The amount of money they spend sending folks to try and get to root cause was A LOT. My dealer ended up forcing them to remove the one large unit and put in two smaller ones, all at their cost, and new updated permits. :)
One issue I had was a number of heads were way up the wall. Since the thermostat is in the heads, I never could get them to work the way I wanted. I just paid to put the wireless thermostats in 4 of them and boy now they work great.
Would love to hear what they do. There is like a 15 year warranty?

I think the warranty was only 5 years. Will need to double check. We did get the compressor on the 2-head outdoor unit replaced under warranty, except that was parts only – still had to pay for labor.

Sadly, Mitsubishi isn't doing anything at the moment as they will only deal with an HVAC contractor and I have not been able to get one to come out in the last few weeks.

One of my units is high up in the wall as well. Ended up setting up my own controller on all the heads, and yes I turned them off to make sure they weren't causing the outdoor unit to stop;)

I think the warranty was only 5 years. Will need to double check. We did get the compressor on the 2-head outdoor unit replaced under warranty, except that was parts only – still had to pay for labor.

Sadly, Mitsubishi isn't doing anything at the moment as they will only deal with an HVAC contractor and I have not been able to get one to come out in the last few weeks.

One of my units is high up in the wall as well. Ended up setting up my own controller on all the heads, and yes I turned them off to make sure they weren't causing the outdoor unit to stop;)
I was told when I went with my diamond dealer I thought the warranty doubled?

I would be toast if my units died. I would have to buy space heaters again, since I gave them all away.

Just giving you a bump here for visibility. I dont have anything to offer or add. I just hate seeing regular, active, members have issues like this, so wanted to try to send you some positive vibes and well wishes on getting it solved.

Reactions: zƬesla
I was told when I went with my diamond dealer I thought the warranty doubled?
The original install was not by a diamond dealer. It was done by a nearby neighbor who has his own HVAC biz. Didn't even know about Diamond dealers back then. Sadly once one of the units started acting up (bad compressor) he stopped answering calls, which is how I came across the local Diamond dealer who fixed the issue and has been maintaining the units for several years; at least until this most recent issue and they're now no longer answering calls either. Seems to be the norm for contractors around here. We have several house projects on a long-term drawing board for lack of reliable contractors.

Just giving you a bump here for visibility. I dont have anything to offer or add. I just hate seeing regular, active, members have issues like this, so wanted to try to send you some positive vibes and well wishes on getting it solved.
Thanks @jjrandorin !

Reactions: BGbreeder
The original install was not by a diamond dealer. It was done by a nearby neighbor who has his own HVAC biz. Didn't even know about Diamond dealers back then. Sadly once one of the units started acting up (bad compressor) he stopped answering calls, which is how I came across the local Diamond dealer who fixed the issue and has been maintaining the units for several years; at least until this most recent issue and they're now no longer answering calls either. Seems to be the norm for contractors around here. We have several house projects on a long-term drawing board for lack of reliable contractors.

Thanks @jjrandorin !
Yep, this is why sometimes it is worth paying extra. I did the same with my minisplits since I wanted the extra coverage a Diamond dealer got me. And with the issues I had, boy was it worth every extra dollar.
Good luck